What Are the Best Fan Bikes for Full Body Exercise? Read Our Air Bike Reviews
When it comes to the best, only you can decide for yourself. Now that you’ve gotten some inside information from our buying guide, you are definitely in a better position to make a choice. Each individual has different needs when “keeping fit” comes to mind, so pick which “fits” you the best after going through this review.
Related: A Closer Look at the Best Home Gym Elliptical
Our Top Choice
Schwinn knows how to make good bikes for everyone, which is why its Airdyne workout bikes are highly acclaimed. However, if the AD6 model is a little too much for your pocket, you may want to try the Schwinn AD2 Airdyne Bike
that’s just as great as the AD6.
Schwinn AD6 Airdyne Upright Exercise Bike with RevMeter RPM Gauge - Signature Wind-Resistance Technology
For over 120 years, Schwinn has been a leading brand of bicycles of all kinds, making it our top-choice for you. It only has its customers’ best interests in mind when producing these bikes.
The Airdyne AD6 Bike has been around for many years, and it’s no surprise because it can create a really good cardio workout. It’s something those who are too busy to make round trips to the gym will appreciate in their homes. There is, however, a sale on Amazon, so you should be able to get this bike for less than anywhere else. The following are some of its features:
- New console layout with continuously readable metrics
- Installed bottle holder
- Shrouding on BioSynch linkage system for safer workouts
- Strong, quiet, frictionless ABS plastic fan makes provision for infinite resistance – the harder you pedal, the harder the resistance
- Easily adjustable foot straps on self-balancing pedals for greater motion control
- RevMeter RPM gauge perfect for interval training
- Convenient transport wheels
- Anatomically designed, extra padded seat
- New in-built accessories: reading rack, wind screen
- Dual-stage super-torque drive belts
- Telemetric heart rate monitoring works with Polar compatible 4.5kHz – 5.5kHz chest strap transmitters
- Maximum user weight of 300lbs
If you want to get a great air bike, go for a manufacturer that provisions creativity and high performance. The Marcy Deluxe Fan Bike has amazing features for a great workout session. If your budget is lower, take a look at the Marcy Fan NS 1000 Exercise Bike with Air Resistance System.
Marcy AIR-1 Air Bike - Exercise Upright Fan Bike for Cardio Training and Workout, Innovative Resistance System Utilizes Fan
Walter Marcyan was an innovative visionary who believed that everyone should be able to exercise with quality equipment from the comfort of their homes. Thus, the Marcy brand was founded upon this ideal, producing exercise equipment from top-notch materials at affordable prices for all.
The Deluxe Air 1 Fan Bike from Marcy is a great buy due to the perfect blend of affordability and a wide array of features. It helps to know that this product sells for less if you buy it on Amazon. Here are some of its features:
- A pair of dual-action exercise arms
- Easy mobility provided by transport wheels
- 2-year warranty
- Adjustable, high-density foam seat for maximum comfort
- Foam-covered handlebars
- Built-in fan simultaneously cools and provides strong resistance
- Affordable and easy to assemble
- Easy to store when not in use
- Built-in computer tracks speed, time, distance and calories
- Sturdy, balanced and long-lasting
LifeCORE Fitness workout equipment allows for better workout options by exercising the whole body. The Assault AirBike allows you to work out in a standing position for maximum results. Looking for a higher end air bike with more features? Take a look at the Assault AirBike Elite
Assault Fitness AirBike Classic - Exercise Bike with Unlimited Resistance for Upper and Lower Body Based on Air Resistance
A division of LifeCORE Fitness, we chose Assault Fitness Products because of its durability and reputation when it comes to workout equipment. Many customers have given positive reviews of their products on Amazon due to the consistency of quality in their products.
No two people are the same, and for this reason, the Assault AirBike can be tailored to fit your individual needs for best workout results. However, with our recent research, you can get it for less than the manufacturer’s suggested retail price if you buy on Amazon. Some of its features include:
- Twenty sealed ball bearings throughout the frame and pivot points provide smooth and durable feel
- 25-inch diameter steel fan delivers maximum resistance, with six-way adjustable seat force and aft, up and down and tilt
- Wireless heart rate monitoring
- Eight preset workout programs as well as optional only-upper-body workouts
- Easy to assemble and store when not in use
- Adjustable seat to fit a wide range of heights
- Unlimited resistance for upper and lower body extremities based on air resistance
- Computer features motivational programs providing many programs (Tabata, Intervals, Watts, Heart Rate) to accomplish fitness goals
- Advanced computer display makes it possible to set calorie, distance or time target goals
Merax has outdone itself with this sturdy air bike that is easy on your pocket but gives a great workout session. If you are undecided between an air bike and a spin bike, take a look at the affordably priced Merax Indoor Cycling Adjustable Stationary Bike
Merax Air Bike Fan Exercise Bike with Unlimited Resistance Cardio Exercise for Home Use
Merax is a brand well-known for their quality products, from office furniture and luggage sets to living room furniture and exercise equipment! Quite a diverse range there, Merax! Luckily, this does not detract from the attention to detail and quality that they put into each and every product.
The Merax Air Elliptical Bike is quite gentle on your pocket for an air bike but still has the powerful features of any air bike such as unlimited resistance and dual-action handlebars. Our research, however, shows that you can get this product for less than the manufacturer’s suggested retail price on Amazon. There is more to this bike…
- Unlimited resistance for whole body provides complete CrossFit exercise and infinite challenge
- User weight capacity of 250 lbs.
- No impact on knees and other joints
- Adjustable, high-density foam seat and foam-covered handlebars
- High-speed fan blades produce breeze while exercising
- Built-in digital display tracks your time, distance, speed and calories burned
- Versatile bike allows for workout in three different configurations; elliptical machine for both arms and legs, exercise bike while sitting or work your upper body only and rest your feet on the foot rest peg
There are lots of affordable air bikes from Body Rider that give you a heck of a workout like the Fan Upright Exercise Bike. If you are trying to decide between an exercise air bike and an elliptical, and are on a budget, consider the Body Rider 2 in 1 Elliptical Trainer and Exercise Bike
with an easy to operate computer built in.
Body Rider Exercise Upright Fan Bike - Stationary Air Bike for Exercise, Adjustable Soft Seat, Digital Display
Body Rider is a brand produced by Body Flex Sports, Inc who's main and driving goal is improving and maintaining your personal health and well-being.
The Body Rider Fan Bike is an obvious good deal and comes with an adjustable seat for people of different heights. Its other features include:
- Fan provides gentle breeze as you work out as well as high resistance
- Easily adjustable tension with the turn of a knob
- Dual-action handlebars engage an upper body workout while working on your legs
- User weight capacity of 250 lbs.
- LCD panel shows distance, time, speed and calories burned
Air Bike for Exercise Guide – What to Look for in a Resistance Air Bike for Workouts and Cardio
There are many ways to get that ripped, healthy body that you’ve always dreamed of. And no, there’s no shortcut (excluding plastic surgery, of course). But beyond losing weight and burning calories, exercise is good for you, especially in this “automated” world of today. Almost every single thing is automated; from doing the laundry to even brushing your teeth!
It’s not that we are ungrateful to science and technology for the many ways they make our lives easier. But, truth be told, with the rapid progress and improvements made in technology, the average human is doing less and less with his or her body (aside from stuffing it full of all those tasty treats).
If we do not make the deliberate effort to exercise the body regularly, we might actually wake up one bright morning to see that the robots have taken over! This is because exercise not only helps you lose weight and keep fit; it also helps your vital organs function excellently. It even helps your mind too. When you work out, your mind is challenged to keep pushing beyond its limits. The discipline and self-control that come from enduring a workout session is an advantage to the mind.
It translates that to positive energy that reflects in your work and the time you spend with your family. It expresses itself in that clear-headedness with which you approach your daily routine, however choked it may be. It reflects in sharp thinking, swift and analytical observation, and ultimately that brilliant, on-your-feet decision you make at a board meeting.
There are many ways to get a good workout, whether at the local gym or your own personal gym. And one of the great ways of doing that is using an air bike. An air bike is a fine choice on many counts: it is inexpensive, it gives you a full body workout, and it is low maintenance.
So, how is an air bike actually designed to work out your upper and lower body simultaneously? Unlike normal indoor stationary bikes, the air bike features movable handles. So, as you move the handles, you get an upper body workout. Pedaling the bike not only exercises your lower body; it also provides the air resistance that the air bike uses to get the job of exercising your body done.
The harder you pedal, the more the air resistance, and then the harder you have to pedal again, and the resistance builds up and you have to pedal some more, and… you get the picture now. Good. So, ultimately, you keep pushing yourself and you burn more calories while your heart pumps more too. We all know it’s a good thing when the heart does that.
Using a resistance air bike might prove to be hard work at the beginning, but what good, result-yielding habit isn’t? The benefits of the air bike are immense and, in the end, it pays off and actually becomes enjoyable.
Video: Tips for the Air Bike
How to Get the Most Out of a Fan Bike Workout. | Courtesy of Rowlett Transformation Center
As you might have guessed, an air bike, as with gym equipment in general, doesn’t come cheap. So, forget the idea of a cheap air bike. A cheap air bike will not help you achieve the body of your dreams at all. Most are noisy, not durable, do not provide enough air resistance, or may even provide too much. In the end, it defeats the entire purpose of getting an air bike.
That said; if you’re going to get yourself a good, affordable air bike, you should be looking at something around $90 at least. A luxury air bike, with the full works and then some, might run close to, or slightly more than, $900. Anything in between this price range works normally, giving you the basic workout. With unique touches and accessories by the manufacturer, comes an expected rise in price, as you might have already figured out.
There are quite a number of things to keep in mind when the idea to purchase an air bike pops into your head. You might want to grab a notepad and a pen and make a potential checklist. So, if you’re ready, the features are listed here:
- Purpose of your Workout
- Seat Adjustments
- Fan Size/Resistance
Let’s take a quick look at all of these features in detail.
Construction and Design
The construction and design can either help or hinder your workout, so take a look at all the options you can chose from!
- Footrests - A newer (you can also read “more expensive”) model usually comes with foot rests, allowing you to kick your feet up and work your upper body instead. But an older model will most likely not afford you that luxury. So you have to keep on pedaling whether or not you feel like it. Don’t pout. At least you get a full-body workout every time. And your doctor will be proud of you.
- Handlebars - Moving on, (unlike the footrests) the handlebars are constantly in motion. Although you can’t stop them altogether, some air bikes can change the air resistance to concentrate on working out different areas of your body. The handlebars can also come with different features to make your workout more comfortable; such as an easy-grip shape or foam covered bars.
- Consoles - Air bikes generally come with consoles where you can see the statistics of what’s going on in your workout session. So, you can be sure that you’re actually achieving something and not just sweating like one of Santa’s reindeers. Wait, do those guys actually sweat? Anyway, the console of your bike and what it displays really comes down to how much you paid for your bike. And yes, it’s always about the money. Sorry. A basic console will track time, burned calories, distance covered, etc. They aren’t usually backlit but, in good light, their surface areas are wide enough to read values quite easily. If you part with a few more bucks, you can actually get a bike with a console that allows you to set goals and factor in intervals.
- Seat - Some people struggle to find bike seats comfortable; but don’t worry, you’ve got lucky with this choice of air bikes as most of them have adjustable seats for people of all different heights. There are also designs that have extra padded or high density foam on the seat so you won’t get any aces and pains during your work out…well, apart from the usual!
PS: Some people say you can get padding for your seat to make sitting less treacherous for your tushy.
Video: Fast Cardio Airbike Workout
Airbike Workout to Improve Aerobic and Anaerobic Endurance . | Courtesy of Criticalbench
Performance and Ease of Use
Here are a few quick tips that might come in handy for newbies to the air bike. Once you’re in place with your feet on the pedals and holding the handles start to pedal. Don’t start pedaling full-throttle immediately. Start slow and build up like a Kenyan marathoner. Be sure to move the handlebars as you pedal to work out your upper body. Then, as you begin to get the hang of it, increase your speed according to your abilities.
It’s your “bikedom” and you are king. Don’t push yourself too much. The fan will always respond to you or, more appropriately, your pedaling. So, stay in control. Be in charge. Continue the workout for 20 - 60 minutes, as your strength permits. Remember to listen to your body and take any breaks that you need; happy pedaling!
Now that you have the hang of riding, you don't need to be a mechanic to keep your air bike working smoothly, but do yourself a favor and pick features that will be simple for you to maintain.
- Drive - Like a normal bike, your bike will definitely come with a drive: either a belt or a chain. And this translates to two distinct kinds of experiences. With the chain, you get more noise, probably a slight vibe on the pedals, and some kind of regular maintenance, such as lubrication approximately every two months. Belts, on the other hand, are more expensive, provide smoother rides with less noise, and require less maintenance. But when they stretch, and start to slip (and they all do eventually), a specialist will be required to replace them.
- Fan - Now to the fan. The fan does not produce as much air as a whirlwind or tornado, no matter how hard you pedal. It’s usually a gentle breeze that even cools you down as you work out. As mentioned earlier, the fan produces resistance to give you a tougher work out, one air bike even boasts unlimited resistance for those who want to be pushed to their limit.
- Noise - Finally, you should know that air bikes are noisy but it’s not necessarily “mob-action” noise however it’s there. The faster the wheel turns, the more noise you’ll generate. Unless the fan is bad, it shouldn’t make more noise than your normal fan at its highest speed.
- Extras - Not many air bikes come set with all the accessories, however there are some that come with a bottle holder, a reading rack or a wind guard. However if the bike you want doesn’t come with these, you can buy them separately and add them on.
Get the Best Air Bike of 2022!
We hope you’ve become better-informed with respect to choosing the right air bike. But in the unlikely event that you didn’t find something that fits you perfectly, remember that this review is just a glimpse of what these brands have in store for you. Now go ahead and buy with the confidence of a well-informed person.
Our Top Choice
Schwinn Airdyne® Air Bike Series
Marcy AIR-1 Deluxe Air Bike for Exercise
LifeCORE Assault Fitness Classic Air Bike
Merax Progressive Resistance Air Bike
Body Rider BRF700 Upright Air Bike
Air Bike FAQs
What is the best belt-driven air bike?
The best belt-driven air bike is that which is affordable, quiet, and with a smoother ride. While it needs to require less maintenance, it should help serve all your fitness goals. It should have a fan for producing a cool breeze for cooling you down even as you sweat it out. The bike should have a reading rack, wind guard, and bottle holder to help you keep focused on the workout. Finally, it should have a console to help you set fitness goals and a good seat, handlebars, and footrests. Our air bike review has more on this. Check it out!
What is an air bike?
An air bike is a stationary exercise bike for the outdoors, having movable handlebars. It has a massive fan that helps create resistance by releasing a steady breeze blowing over your body. The more you apply pressure on the paddles, the stronger the draft shall become.
What is an air bike exercise?
Air bike exercise refers to the cycling motions you make while on an air bike. It happens due to your paddling efforts, which releases air from a fan, creating resistance. With an air bike, you accomplish your high-intensity interval training (HIIT) for the whole body. The exercise is low-impact, involving your lower & upper arms, joints, and muscles in addition to entire body workouts. You can use it to burn calories and tone up your muscles.