Showering or bathing is an everyday activity that we all perform to stay clean. Also, it is a way of soothing and restoring energy levels after a hectic day, especially if you add a bath bomb
to the water. To have a quality bath, however, you need an adequate amount of clean water, a good shower gel
or bathing soap and, of course, a bath loofah. While most people have clean water and soap, many of them do not have good-quality loofahs. But why do you need a loofah if your bath towel still does the job? you may ask. Well, a bath towel may not give you a thorough wash like a loofah does. Also, bath towels come in slow-drying designs that make them susceptible to staining and developing bad odors over time.
Gently scrubbing your legs with a loofah after a shave can help release hairs that could otherwise become trapped. However, it is important to note that, just like other bath scrubbers
, loofahs help to exfoliate dead skin, but their scrubbing capacity is strong and may result in irritated skin, especially if used on areas with blemished skin or the face. Use a pouf if your skin is extremely sensitive! Also, keep in mind that loofahs can harbor bacteria, so keep them clean or replace them often.
For the environment-conscious individuals, you will be happy to know that loofahs are natural products that will fit well into your green, sustainable life, though you may find synthetic ones made of recyclable or non-recyclable materials.
How do you choose the best bath loofah? Let’s look at the different consideration factors below before jumping straight to our picks!
Loofahs are items used just for a few weeks – usually three weeks – and their prices range from a few to hundreds of dollars. A good-quality bath loofah will cost you between $6 and $16, depending on the type of material, set size and other accessories, such as attached ropes or handles. Avoid cheap bath loofahs, as they may be made of substandard materials that could harm your skin.
The amazing rewards that come from bathing with a good loofah sponge have seen its demand go up. This demand has led to the emergence of hundreds of brands that manufacture and sell this product. Choosing the best loofah has, therefore, become a challenge to many. The following factors should help you when making this buying decision:
- Material– Loofahs can basically be grouped into two types – natural and synthetic. Natural loofahs come from natural sea plants and last longer. The main drawback is that it harbors bacteria if it’s not well taken care of. Synthetic loofahs, on the other hand, are manufactured and come with anti-bacterial treatment. They, however, fall apart after a few weeks of use.
- Size– The size of the loofah will determine whether or not it will work for you. A small loofah may give you a rough time when scrubbing yourself, while a big one may not fit well in your hand. Choose a loofah sponge that best suits your needs.
- Type– The type of loofah you choose will depend on what you intend to use it for. You can either go for the real loofahs, shower puffs, scrubber brush, or bath sponge.
Construction and Design
Loofahs are used for skin exfoliation, and the ideal one will depend on the body area you intend to use it on. It is important to feel the loofah, to make sure it will not irritate your skin or make it red, before buying.
Loofahs that come with handles are recommended for scrubbing the back, to make sure it reaches all parts of the back. The handles come in either plastic or wood, but some smaller models may have rope handles or terry cloth instead. Loofah sponges with wooden handles are harder to hold on to, compared to plastic ones. But, those with plastic handles might become slippery when used in the shower. A wrist strap hooked to the edge of the handle could help you maintain a better grip, despite the material the sponge is made of. Also, consider choosing a loofah with an ergonomic design if you intend to use it for an extended period of time.
A sponge loofah might be bought as part of a full pedicure kit, and this is something you should consider if you desire to make your feet smooth. The edge of the loofah might be very flat or round, but the flat one generally makes it effortless to remove dirt from your toes. If you intend to buy bath loofahs for feet, it’s advisable to go for ones that come with a carrying case to allow you to store your nail files and toenail clippers along with the sponge.
Performance and Ease of Use
Loofahs are popular bath accessories; they help in cleansing the skin of dead cells and dirt. Get yourself a good loofah and your bathing experience will change for the better. However, every time the loofah does not dry properly, it harbors organisms that keep growing and growing. With the right conditions, the bacteria can lead to some scary infections, such as staphylococcus.
There are things you can do to prevent your loofah from turning into a bacteria host:
- Let it dry completely– The loofah should be kept out of the moist environment. The shower area should be allowed enough airflow to thoroughly dry out between uses. Leave the shower doors and windows open and put the wet loofah outside for more airflow.
- Sterilize it– The loofah has small holes and portions where bacteria is likely to grow and thrive. While proper rinsing and drying is important, we advise that you sterilize your loofah sponge in boiling water at least once a week. You can also microwave your loofah for 20 seconds while still wet, but only if it is synthetic. Do not microwave plastic bath loofahs.
- Bleach it– Bleach can also help get rid of bacteria in your sponge.
- Replace it– After using your loofah for almost a month, it is prudent to dispose of it. One of the reasons this is important is that the fibers that make up the loofah may start to break down, making it inefficient for scrubbing. The second reason is that, after using the loofah for some time, bacteria may slowly start to develop, making it a party house for bacteria and other hazardous microbes.
These simple tips should help you take care of your bath loofah. Of course, it is important not to get so attached to your loofah, as you will have to discard it after a month or so.
The loofah that is best for you could be determined by the type of skin you have and the type of texture an ideal loofah for you should have. Gender is another consideration when choosing loofahs. So read through the features of each loofah reviewed so you can make an informed decision.
While using soap, body wash, or gel will get your skin clean, loofahs work best – weekly exfoliation using a loofah will keep your skin healthy and radiant. The best bath loofah is one that suits your skin type and makes you glow. Whatever your skin type, you are bound to find a perfect loofah from the variety we’ve reviewed, but if you don’t, consider checking other loofahs from the same brands and take your pick.