The chance to choose the best epilator doesn’t come around often. Perhaps it’s because of budget constraints or simply not seeing enough options for you to choose from. But for many people, shaving is just another ordinary routine. Provided you can get rid of the hair, any razor
can do the job, right? Not exactly! If you adore yourself, you’ll want to give your skin a perfect treat by eliminating the hair from the roots, giving you a smooth shave for longer.
But hunting for the perfect epilator is easier said than done. Honestly, what do you know about epilators? You’ve probably read about them online, in a Kylie Jenner tweet, or in women’s magazines, which couldn’t give you much of a grasp on the product. If you fall into this category, don’t worry. It’s something you shouldn’t be ashamed of. Now it’s good news, that you’re here, and we’ll walk you through some of the features to look for when shopping for an epilator to treat your skin like a real pro!
When it comes to epilators, and really any personal care product like electric razor
s or blades, quality should be your number one priority. I know everyone wants to look at that price tag before picking a product off the shelf, but this is something you’re going to use on your skin and you don’t want to compromise on quality for cheaper prices. If you’re buying online, run through user reviews and see what other clients say about their experiences with the product before you make up your mind.
Every epilator has its own set of accessories and unique features designed to meet the different needs of various users. Always go through the design features of each epilator before making your decision on which model best suits your needs. Of course, no one size fits all. What is perfect for you can be a nightmare to another consumer. If you want something portable like a travel shaver
, consider lightweight models with compact shapes to easily slide into your travel bag. Our guide will help you make an informed choice.
With this in mind, it’s time to go through the features to look for when shopping for a perfect epilator, and then you’ll be ready to dive into our individual reviews.
If you’re already thinking, “Ooh, I can’t possibly afford an epilator,” or even, “Is it worth the price tag?” It’s an emphatic yes for those who adore their skin. But, the price range is within reach, given the fabulous benefits it brings to your lifestyle. A good-quality epilator will cost anything between $70 and $150. It comes down to your personal choice as you pick the one that’s right for you. Of course, you’ll find even cheaper epilators on the market, but we’ve deliberately kept such models off our list since they may not offer a performance that meets your expectations. Plus, you don’t want something that will literally just pluck the hair off your sensitive skin. You probably can’t stand the pain!
Now, what features make one epilator stand out from the rest? There are several factors to consider, like the system of hair removal, your own skin type and color, replacement parts, and so on. Let’s now dig deeper into these features:
- Hair Removal System: The methods of hair removal vary from one epilator to the next. Depending on your skin and hair type, pick a model that works best for you. Again, some will work well on the face and neck, while others won’t. Most epilators work like multiple tweezers that pull the hair from the roots. So, it’s not something you’ll prefer on the neck and face if you’re sensitive to pain, but rather on arms and legs.
- Replacement Parts: You’ll want a model with replaceable parts that you can easily purchase when worn out instead of spending money on a whole new unit. Check whether the manufacturer stocks any replaceable parts and make sure they’re available before you make a purchase.
- Dry or Wet Option: The epilation process usually works better on dry skin, but more people now prefer wet epilation since it’s more kind to the skin and the level of pain is considerably reduced. The epilator models designed for wet epilation work well in showers or underwater. Most models are cordless and should be charged before use.
- Corded or Cordless: Additionally, you may need to consider whether you need a cordless or corded epilator. Cordless models are convenient for easy packing, hence, perfect for traveling and holidays. Plus, they can be used underwater. Corded counterparts are more powerful since they are always plugged into the power source throughout the epilation process – no worries of running out of charge.
Construction and Design
Epilators are not built equally. In general, there are three types of epilators: rotating discs, rotating spiral wire, and multiple tweezers.
- The Spring-Type: - This epilator is made with springs that are coiled together or separately. When in use, the springs capture the hairs from the roots and pull them out. Since the springs are continually flexed, they often fail. However, many models offer springs as separate parts and you can always buy new ones whenever they fail.
- The Rotating Disc-Type: - This kind uses a similar technique as the spring-type epilator, but in place of coiled springs, it utilizes rotating discs to grasp the hairs and pull them out.
- The Tweezers-Type: - This is perhaps the most common option. It’s considered the modern type of epilator and comes with plates, as opposed to complete discs. As the head of the epilator rotates, the plates move together and apart once for every revolution. This creates a tweezing effect that pulls out hairs and releases them away from the skin. Now, each epilator is designed with different numbers of tweezers and, the more tweezers, the faster the epilation. However, this faster process will mean more pain, and if you’re new to this method, you may be discouraged from using it again. So, consider a moderate number of tweezers for comfortable use.
Performance and Ease of Use
The epilation process can be painful since the method pulls out hair from the roots. If you’re doing it for the first time, the session may take slightly longer and feel more painful. To ease the pain a little bit, some epilators are designed with specific accessories, such as a cooling pack. This is usually a small pack of gel that you can place in a freezer or fridge before the epilation session. It also has a glove with a hole that holds the bag of gel as you massage the area of skin that you want to epilate. Some come with cool wipes to rub the gel on the skin area and significantly minimize the pain.
Now, epilation may not be ideal on every part of the body. Most people use it on arms and legs. But, if you’re planning to use in on other areas such as underarms, face, neck, or bikini lines, look out for epilators with special heads to suit those small areas. Others even offer built-in lighting options to illuminate hair in those shady areas.
Finally, most epilators come with two speed settings for convenient control. However, earlier models only have one speed setting. If you’re a beginner or are going to use the epilator on sensitive skin, consider two-speed models to easily shift from slow to fast and vice versa and, hence, control the level of pain for each skin area.
We understand that multiple factors contribute to the fact that no two epilators are the same, making the decision-making process for finding the perfect epilator difficult! Let’s take a look at our top five recommendations and see how they stack up in what they have to offer.
We have taken the time to ensure that no matter what your budget, needs or wants may be, there is an epilator that will fit the bill. The best epilators listed in our review are from the most trusted brands on the market. Take a look and see if one of these products is exactly what you are looking for – and say goodbye to razor stubble! Even if you don’t find a model that matches your style from our picks, these same brands still offer other fantastic options you can try as well.