After a long and busy day at work, you need to rest and shake off the stress. Not every chair will offer the comfort you need after such a long day. But we have good news for you. If you can find a good futon, then you can consider this problem a thing of the past. Not only can you sit back and enjoy the comfort, you can also make a good bed out of your futon. So what does it take to get the right one?
The first thing you need to check is whether your desired futon is sturdy enough. No one wants to sit on a wobbly chair. It all starts with the frame. Futons have frames of all types, but getting a well-built one could go a long way in getting the best out of its strength and durability.
If space is not on your side, you can make a great bed out of your futon. For dorms, hostels, or guest bedrooms, adequate space is not at your disposal, so it helps to have a futon handy. All you need is to look for an ideal throw blanket and a matching pillow. It is a futon during the day and a bed at night, so there's no need to force your folding bed
into the corner of the room. Talk about a two-in-one bargain!
Futons come in a variety of colors. If you are looking for a futon that will complement your decor and add a touch of class to your room’s look, this is a big plus too! You can also get a futon that is easy to clean. Adding some life to your room does not get any easier.
We’ve featured five awesome futons from trusted and reliable brands, however there wasn’t room for all of the quality futons we found during our research. If you want some more options, we recommend checking out the DHP Emily Futon Sofa Bed
which has thousands of positive reviews and a minimalist, contemporary design. For another modern futon, you could go for the Best Choice Products PU Leather Futon Sofa
, which converts into multiple positions for ultimate relaxation.
Whichever futon you decide on in the end, you need to know the important features to look out for. Read on to find out what they are!
Futons come with many features that make them a go-to option. And when it comes to the price, the furniture will sweep you off your feet with exciting fair deals. Be ready to spend any amount between $170 and $300, and you will get an impressive futon. But if you want a high-end one, you can always get it if you pay more for the quality.
The features and material in any futon will also be essential to factor in when it comes to the price. If you are going for one with an armrest and convertible mattress, you'll need to spend more for the quality. If your futon of choice is made of sturdy leather or cotton foam, the price will spike slightly as well.
The brand also matters a lot when it comes to the pricing of any futon. Some of the most sought-after brands on the market guarantee quality products. This means you will need to take on a higher price.
Be careful about is cheap futons that could entice you into making the wrong decision. These types of futons lack essential features such as quality mattresses or sturdy material. This could mean you end up with a futon that you cannot count on for the efficiency and convenience you are looking for.
The features of any futon are among the things you cannot afford to miss. Here are several things to check out:
- Futon Type - Futons come in diverse types, from twin and sleeper sofa to love seat and other attractive designs. It all comes down to your preference or needs.
- Dimensions – Depending on the size of your room, you can always find an option that will fit perfectly in the space you have, as futons vary significantly in size. But it is always wise to decide before hitting the buy button.
- Mattress Info - When shopping for your futon, you can get the most out of the various mattress options available, from faux leather to cotton foam and many others.
- Frame Type - A well-made frame will not only mean a futon that you can use for ages, but also sturdy furniture that you can count on. From microfiber to metal, as well as wooden types, the variety offers something for everyone.
- Color(s) – Furniture goes a long way in enhancing how your décor looks, and it is always great to consider the color when choosing. Since futons come in almost all types of colors, you can find one that best matches your interior décor
Construction and Design
This furniture is built to add to your interior design while still offering an ideal resting space for your guests, and perhaps a place to lay your head at night too. This can be great if you have the right futon, and this comes down to several aspects.
- Material - Futons come in different material types. Whether you want classy leather or smooth cotton foam, there will always be a deal to turn to. Make the most of the broad variety to choose the one that best matches your furniture.
- Frame - The frame also makes a difference when it comes to how robust and durable a futon is. Since most futons feature solid frames, you can count on this aspect for a futon that you will use for years. Futons come in a wide range of frame types, including metal, wooden, and microfiber ones.
- Style - Futons are built with exciting designs that come in handy when adding that special touch to your interior planning. Most feature simple and contemporary designs that are easy to match with most furniture styles. Some designs are also ideal for saving space in your room. If you're living in an apartment with little space, or you are caught between living comfortably and creating some space for a home office, this is the ideal option for you.
- Assembly - Futons are usually easy to assemble, so you don’t have to take a whole day putting it together, especially if it comes with the instruction manual. This is something you can do all by yourself, which means you don’t have to spend more money to call in someone for the job.
Performance and Ease of Use
A futon can be a great addition to your home. But you need to look at several factors here, which could mean the difference between getting a great futon and ending up frustrated. Here are several things you should consider.
- Comfort - Futons are built to deliver great looks and outstanding comfort. From cotton foam to leather, they come in several types of materials to offer the much-needed comfort.
- Convenience - The simple style of this furniture means an easy time when putting your futon together, without compromising your interior planning. The other thing you will come to love about futons is just how easy cleaning one can be, especially if you get one with material that you can wipe clean with a cloth.
- Durability - Futons are built with sturdy frames and durable material, so they can take a beating for years without losing the elements of comfort or sturdy make. Get the right one, and you are in for a lasting piece of furniture that you will pass down for generations.
- Versatility - Whether you want to use your futon as a bed or a seat in your living room, this furniture is built for the job. You can use one in the smallest rooms, but if you have a large room, a futon is great for a classy display.
When choosing a futon, one of the first decisions you will have to make is whether you want one with a frame and separate mattress, or one that is adjustable with a built-in “mattress.” You’ll also need to decide on either a wood or metal frame, and the type of material for the mattress. With this information in mind, let’s take a look at five of our favorite futon models. We’ve based our selection on price, comfort, and style to help you select the perfect fit for your home, office, or dorm.
Kodiak Furniture has been manufacturing multifunctional furniture for almost 30 years now, making them a keen choice if you’re looking for a brand with experience. Their stylish, sturdy futon frames match perfectly with high-quality and comfortable mattresses to provide a perfect futon set for the home, college dorm or anywhere in between. Kodiak appreciates and relies on customer feedback to continually improve their customer service and product range.
The Kodiak Small Futon Lounger is a smaller sized futon compared to most others, which is ideal for college dorm rooms, studio apartments or “spare rooms” where space is hard to come by! Measuring 66 x 33 x 31-inches when in the sitting position, this futon won’t take up a lot of space and it folds out to 79 x 33 x 32-inches when in the bed position. You can lock this futon into a sitting or lounge position when not using it as a bed.
The metal powder coated frame provides stability to the futon and wooden slats support the mattress. Speaking of which, a good mattress can make any futon. The mattress will decompress after purchasing but will stay between 5 and 6 inches in width, with an 80% bended cotton and 20% polyurethane foam filling. The 100% polyester blend suede fabric cover is soft and comfortable, which is also the same material used for the 2 pillows included. If you have a specific room in mind where you’d like to place your futon, you might have a color in mind too. Lucky for you, Kodiak manufactures this futon in tons of colors. Choose from black, olive green, brown, gray, red, zebra, bubbles and many more designs.
A lot of times when looking for furniture, people turn to the big-name companies, but there are some really great smaller companies that excel at what they do, and Kodiac Furniture is one of them. Based in St. Paul, Minnesota, Kodiak has been making multi-functional sleep solutions for almost 30 years, and their products are known and loved for both their quality and comfort. Both the frame and mattress are constructed in the USA.
While they have many wonderful futon options, we chose to showcase the El Dorado line because we love the classic, clean look of the Indonesian hardwood frame. Depending upon your surroundings, it could easily fit into a rustic, country, or cottage style décor – or with the right accessories, we think the black bonded leather mattress could even pull off a modern look. There are four other microfiber suede mattress color options: beige, navy blue, olive green and classic black. Mattresses are hand-tufted with Flip 294 coils and are 8 inches thick, providing lots of comfort whether sitting or sleeping.
Kodiak, also known as St. Paul Furniture, definitely had multi-functional design in mind with this futon sleeper sofa. Users have the option to add drawers that fit nicely underneath and provide great storage space. For people who use the futon as a bed on a daily basis, this is a great convenience for storing the bedding that will be used each night. This high quality piece of furniture requires home construction, but comes with instructions that make it easy to stay organized and get the job done right. Mattresses are shipped vacuum packed, to keep costs down.
Better Homes and Gardens began way back in 1922 as a magazine for all things cooking, crafts, gardening, decorating and healthy living. The brand quickly grew and now has an estate agent branch as well as the manufacturing and selling of home products. Their home products range includes home storage solutions, console tables, chairs and futons.
The BHG Wood Arm Futon with Coil Mattress is ideal for modern living spaces as it can be used as a sofa by day or a bed by night. The conversion from sofa to full-size sleeper is easy and almost instant. The solid wooden arms are stylish and wouldn’t look out of place in any contemporary home and the sturdy, metal frame offers support and durability with a capacity up to 600lbs. As a sofa, this futon measures 82 x 39 x 39-inches, so make sure your space can accommodate this.
A futon really is only as good as it’s mattress and lucky for you, this is a good’un. The 8-inch mattress includes 522 independently encased coils providing even support across the mattress and the high-quality foam used makes it super comfortable for sitting and sleeping. The soft twill cover also adds to this comfort and you can purchase this futon in a variety of colors and also with two matching pillows. Choose from gray, navy, oatmeal, tan or walnut!
We hope this information has been useful in helping you narrow down the choices for your next futon. If you are ready to optimize your space by purchasing an attractive, functional futon, these are the five futons that we recommend! Each of these companies is known for offering futons with top quality, comfort, and convenience. Whether you like the ones we have featured, or want to check out something else that these brands offer, we know you can trust their products.