Working outdoors in the garden can be, quite literally, back breaking work. Those trips back and forth from the garden to the house to fetch forgotten tools or desired refreshments can feel like a real waste of time. That’s why a garden scooter would be an important addition to your tool shed. As they are designed to support gardening, garden scooters help gardeners by giving them a place to store their supplies and a seat for when they’re tired.
Garden scooters have a wide range of features and come in all sorts of types, brands, storage capacities, and color finishes. While some are tractor garden scooters, others come in the form of rolling carts and kneelers. Some garden scooters come with large storage trays to hold many tools and supplies, while others come with pouches. High-capacity garden scooters can accommodate more tools and supplies than their smaller counterparts.
As it allows you to carry all the gardening tools you will need, such as garden rakes
and shovels, a garden scooter is an important piece of gardening equipment. In the end, by using this equipment, you won’t waste precious gardening time going back to the shed for that long, stick-like tool you just can’t recall the name of that removes weeds. Eliminating unnecessary back-and-forth trips also means that you won’t get as tired as you normally do. What’s more, carry all the water, snacks, or meals you need with a gardening scooter. Aside from being a handy-dandy carrying cart, it’s also a great way to organize all your tools in one place where you can easily access them.
Do you have muscle weakness or back problems? Do you have issues when standing for long periods? Then, the garden scooter is the answer to your problems. The best garden scooters allow you to work in the garden while seated which takes the strain off your back and the knees. They’re a favorite among seniors and the movement impaired. With a garden scooter, you’ll also be able to move throughout the garden without the need to stand up because it has wheels specifically made for outdoor use.
Whether you work on raised garden kits
, garden trellis
or traditional gardens, a garden scooter makes gardening work easy and enjoyable for the entire family. If you have kids that want to learn how to garden, a scooter is a kid-friendly cart that makes gardening even more fun for little people. What’s more, this useful gardening cart is not only limited to outdoor use. It can also be brought indoors for a multitude of other uses that require you to be down on the ground.
What really influences the price of a garden scooter is the multifunctionality of that particular model. Those with a comfortable seat, big tray for carrying tools, and large, all-terrain wheels do cost more. Some cheap garden scooters on the market should be avoided because they aren’t sturdy and might not move well outdoors, especially in poor weather conditions. Clearly, if you’re looking for an outdoor cart that will serve you well, you should avoid these.
Invest in a garden scooter that can provide exactly what you require. For regular gardening, go for a basic garden scooter model. However, if you’re a professional landscaper, you’ll want a more advanced, multiple bells-and-whistles type of gardening scooter. You’ll find a good gardening scooter in the price range of $20 to $1000.
There are features that make garden scooters functional equipment for gardening. One of those is the tray where the tools are carried. It should be spacious and sturdy enough to hold as many tools as you might require. You also need to find a scooter with strong wheels that can move easily on various terrains such as muddy ground. Furthermore, it should have a seat that you can use while working in your garden.
Here are some of the features that you should look out for in a garden scooter:
- Adjustable seat to use at varying heights
- Rotating seat so you can work on your garden from different angles
- Wide and tall wheels to easily maneuver your garden terrain
- Enough tool space to hold as many gardening tools as you’d need
- Rear basket for extra storage
- Kid-friendly and easy steering
- Premium materials used in construction of the scooter
- Sturdy design with a good steering axle
With the right garden scooter, you’ll be able to accomplish various tasks such as carrying your gardening supplies and working while seated to prevent back strain.
Construction and Design
- Type – Garden scooters can be categorized into two types, depending on the specific design. There are those with an enclosed design and others with an open design. The enclosed type models entail having a compartment on the wheels that’s covered using the seat. Although the seat cannot rotate or adjust in this version, it is very child-friendly. The open type scooter version basically looks like a small tractor. These garden scooters have an adjustable or swivel seat. Typically, they have a utility tray situated under the seat and most will also have a steering axle and rear basket. Choose the type you want depending on the kind of things you want to achieve with a scooter.
- Material – The materials used in the construction should withstand the ruggedness of outdoor use. Most garden scooters are made of several materials with the most common being metal, rubber and hard plastics. If you want a garden scooter with a high weight capacity that can hold many garden tools, consider one that is made with a steel frame and big rubber wheels. These materials are also durable and make for a stable scooter. If you’re looking for a light scooter you can carry or pull easily, then opt for one with a plastic construction.
- Storage – The garden scooter should come with enough storage for the tools, refreshments and whatever else you might want to take home after your gardening session. If you need a lot of storage, check that the utility tray on the scooter is big enough and can carry the weight of all your tools. Also, look to see if the scooter has a rear basket where you can put your refreshments or other necessities.
- Size – Size is an important consideration for a garden scooter. If you have to maneuver through small spaces in the garden, go for a scooter that’s narrow enough to fit. Garden scooters have varying weights, so you should consider one depending on your physical capabilities. If you’re obliged to carry around heavy tools, you might require a lightweight scooter so you don’t get easily fatigued. However, if you want one that’s stable then a heavy scooter will be a great option.
- Color – For all outdoor equipment, it’s important to have a color that’s easy to clean. The color should also conceal scratches and dents that the garden scooter might acquire during service. An outdoor cart with neutral colors such as brown, black, green and gray will be favorable because they blend in nicely with nature.
Performance and Ease of Use
Garden scooters make it very easy and comfortable for you to engage in gardening activities. They come with adjustable seats that you can modify to reach your desired height and swivel seats that support maximum mobility. With swivel seats, you can work on both sides of your garden or greenspace without having to stand and turn. Maintenance of the scooter involves washing it clean and ensuring the moving parts are often greased.
Do not exceed the weight limit of a garden scooter as that may cause it permanent damage. To get out in the garden faster, purchase one that is easy to use with an uncomplicated setup.
Choose a garden scooter that is the ideal type, material, storage, size, and color, and carefully consider any of its other features. A good size will also ensure that you can use your scooter both as a seat and a mobile storage kit. Your choice of a garden scooter should come with a warranty to protect you from manufacturing defects. Find out if one of our recommended garden scooters piques your interest.
Whether you need to engage in painting, gardening, washing or any other manual, outdoor job, there’s a garden scooter out there that will make your tasks all that much easier. We hope that with our review of the five top garden scooters, you’ll be equipped to pick a great scooter or kneeler to use for outdoor labor or your garden. In case you need something different, check out our other gardening product reviews.