Finally, Apple has officially publicized the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus! This has triggered a stiff competition as case manufacturers race to announce the finest compatible accessories. Customers are waiting eagerly for the first shipment of the devices. This guide outlines the perfect cases for the incoming devices.
To start with, Apple has its official line of cases compatible with the iPhone 7. The cases are currently available on Apple’s site, and it’s evident that they resemble the previous generations. For instance, it has released a new leather case, just like before, with a wide variety of colors to choose from, not forgetting the Project (RED) version. You can grab your favorite-colored leather case and protect your valuable smartphone
from scratches and cracks.
Apple's smart battery cases claim to provide longer battery life, thus increasing talking and surfing time. Most models come with a soft microfiber lining which offers protection for your device. Further, a soft elastomer hinge enables you to put the case on and take it off easily. The available models are only compatible with the iPhone 7 though.
Just like the iPhone X is creating controversy due to the face ID feature, iPhone 7 created a lot of stir due to the absence of the headphone jack. Nevertheless, you still ought to protect your iPhone whether you are using AirPods, Lightning adapter, or EarPods. Apple explained that the high shine on the jet-black version is due to the fine micro-abrasions used—the more reason you need to protect your iPhone.
If you continue reading on, you will realize that actually, the dimensions of the iPhone 7 cases match with those of your iPhone 6 and 6s. However, iPhone 7 cases cover the headphone jack of the iPhone 6 and 6s, a huge disadvantage to anyone with regular headphones
, unless wireless headphones
are your favorite. Essentially, these iPhone 7 cases are the most ideal for, of course, your new iPhone 7.
Your new phone deserves a new case, so read on to understand the important features to look for when shopping for iPhone 7 cases, and then you’ll be ready to dive into our top picks.
You just spent a couple hundred dollars to purchase a new device, so why not spend a little bit more to protect it from scratching or breaking? The price of a case ranges between $7 and $60, depending on the quality and material used. You can attest to what happens to your device the moment it slips from your grasp, finds itself in the hands of inquisitive toddlers, or even worse, drops in the toilet.
Smartphone manufacturers are trying to make devices which are waterproof and can withstand potential breakage, but most of the devices on the market can’t survive an accident unscratched. It’s now clear that all devices are destructible, right? The case manufacturer, device manufacturer, and carrier websites often provide a relatively higher price for cases.
You’ll realize that the cases we featured are moderately-priced, although you can still find cheaper iPhone 7 cases out there. But, be cautious as they may not offer your valuable gadget the required level of protection it needs.
The factors to consider when choosing a case will depend on the level of protection you need and your choice of extra features. Let’s look at them in further detail:
- Level of Protection You Need – Are you clumsy or careful? When seeking the perfect case for your device, the starting point should be how strong you want the case to be. If you’re clumsy, your device needs serious protection to be able to survive a dip in water or a fall on concrete. If you are the careful type, you don’t have to spend much since you only need basic protection.
- Ruggedness – You should consider trying the toughest options available on the market. Rugged cases have a strong grip, reinforced corners, and air pockets to reduce the possibilities of your phone getting damaged. However, they are relatively bulky and a little difficult to slide in or out of your pockets. Consequently, you will have to buy a holster or a belt clip to hold the larger build. Some case manufacturers have gone a notch higher by putting their devices through the U.S. military standards. MIL-STD-810 certification includes pressure, impact, vibration, and temperature.
- Extra Features – Which additional features do you want your case to have? If your device is a tablet, a case with a landscape stand is the best choice. Some cases offer multiple positions, including 360-degree hinges. Phone cases will generally have kickstands which pop out the back, as well. However, you should ensure that they’re secure since it’s annoying to have an uninvited pop-out. List down the features you feel are essential and mark the checklist as you shop.
Construction and Design
In terms of design and construction, iPhone 7 cases can be categorized under:
- Tough Cases – Tough cases are strong enough to allow your device to survive a drop without necessarily adding too much bulk or a complete forfeit style. The best case has a combination of a hard polycarbonate layer and a soft silicone inner layer to absorb shock. You would also want to watch for certification for the military drop test. Finally, ensure it offers protection for the front of the device and a strong grip to minimize the chances of slipping out of your hand.
- Slim or Basic Cases – If you prefer style over protection, you should opt for slim cases which are relatively light in weight. They offer basic protection by covering only the areas susceptible to damage. If you are not ready to forego the feeling of exposing your device’s gorgeous design, consider transparent cases. Some cases are slightly malleable and highly durable, offering shock protection and simplicity to fit on your phone. Fitting a hard, slim case on your device can be a hassle, yet they don’t offer much protection. Slim cases have the widest range of colors and styles since they are more fancy than effective.
- Folio Cases – Wallet or flip-open folio cases are stylish and fit in your pocket. They provide all-around protection. However, they vary with the level of protection they offer. Some have an inner shell-type case while others don’t cover the corners of your device. Most of the folio cases are made from PolyUrethane (PU) which has an initial strong smell and is prone to cracking. If you pay a premium, you get a case made from genuine leather. Most folio cases have credit card slots, although overstuffing the slots increases the possibilities of popping open unexpectedly.
- Battery Cases – Low battery life has always been a top complaint in mobile technology. Battery cases have a built-in battery which boosts your smartphone for another couple of hours. They are always bulky; therefore, a slim battery case means a small battery which won’t boost your device’s battery for long. Most battery cases are not designed to provide much protection, but the ability to boost your phone’s battery life. Typically, your phone will utilize the charge on the case first; therefore, you can take it off afterward. Watch for features such as displaying the battery status, necessary ports, and if it uses data.
Performance and Ease of Use
It is advisable that you check out a variety of cases before purchasing. After all, a hands-on feel is better than the eyes’ appeal. You can also decide to get several cases for different occasions; for instance, a rugged case for hiking excursions and a slim case for lighter activities.
The advantage of the iPhone 7 over other, larger ones is that it’s small in size even with a decent case on. Most of our favorite cases have new features such as an extra battery life, card slots, and military-spec drop protection.
However, most rugged cases cover the entire phone, including the screen and buttons, making it difficult to press the buttons and reducing the touchscreen sensitivity. It is vital to inspect the case before purchasing it since some may be missing a port, have stiff buttons, or have defects with camera flash reflections.
A case is important in keeping your iPhone 7 safe, so it’s an investment which needs to be made as soon as possible. Before actually buying a case, you have to take into consideration if the case is protective enough, has protection for the screen, is resistant to impact, is flexible or comfortable in hand, and if it’s stylish enough to suit your style. So, go ahead and take a look at our top five picks with these things in mind.
When thinking about a phone case, we think about protecting one of our most precious things. Imagine you just bought an iPhone 7 and you accidentally drop it on the ground and it breaks. It can be devastating! In order to avoid this scenario, take a look at some of the best iPhone 7 cases we have selected for you and have peace of mind in the future. These brands have multiple options, so there’s something for everyone.