As a kid, there are few festivities that get you amped-up; sure, birthdays are as good as Christmas, but nothing beats the joy that comes with a Halloween festival. Halloween celebrations are fun times for kids. They can dress up in funny costumes, eat yummy treats, and enjoy parties. It is the one night that they can be mischievous, precarious and any other “ous” word that makes being a kid so much fun. No questions asked, and yes, tricks are encouraged too! What sums up all the fun is the fact that children get to amass buckets full of candy, and they get to do so camouflaged as someone or something else. This could be a favorite TV/movie character, a cute and gushy critter, or even a worker from their dream profession.
So, how do you as a parent make sure your kid has the best Halloween ever? The answer is by getting them a great Halloween costume. Kids’ Halloween costumes have evolved a lot since the era of the plastic-suit-and-mask in the eighties. Many manufacturers are now using softer fabrics, non-scratchy trims or embellishments, and reinforced seams for rougher playing. All your children’s favorite characters are represented in these costumes, from the scary to the funny, from the timeless to the trendy. There are the Minions costumes for girls and boys, Disney descendants’ costumes, Monster High costumes, and Evergreen choices like pirates, princesses, and superheroes among others. Simple pair these costumes with a cosplay wig
or any other accessories and your child will be ready to experience lots of fun this Halloween season.
And, since no family member should be left behind, we have included both infant Halloween costumes
and couples Halloween costumes
reviews so that mummy, daddy and baby can join in the fun.
But, how do you choose the best Halloween costume for your child? Well, we would say go for something that is comfortable and adorable; one that both you and your child are wild about. Remember your child’s costume will forever be in family memories, videos, photos, and stories, so take your time and choose a very memorable costume. Also, it doesn’t kill to ask for ideas from the kids themselves. You will be surprised at how many ideas these little ones have about what they would like to wear!
Let’s discuss in detail the factors to consider when buying a kid’s Halloween costume before jumping straight to our picks.
A good quality kids Halloween costume will cost you something between $20 and $35. But, there are parents who are willing to pay way more than this to get a high-end custom-made costume. Custom-made costumes cost a lot because of the time it takes to make them. These costumes are made of high quality materials and will last your child for a very long time. Cheap kids Halloween costumes made of thin polyester will only last for a couple of years, if that long. So would you rather spend more to get a great, quality costume that can also be passed down or go for something very cheap.
For your little one to enjoy his/her Halloween, he/she must love the costume you get them. Here are some ideas to help in your selection:
- What’s Trending – Each year, there are a handful of very popular kids’ costumes. They always revolve around what is trending in the world of kids’ TV shows and movies. Classic Halloween-themed costumes such as monsters and witches are always in style. Also, classic storybook characters, animal, and heroes costumes are forever big hits.
- Comfort –Your kids will not enjoy themselves if they are uncomfortable. A scratchy, stiff, poorly-made costume can ruin your child’s entire day. So, look for something soft, with roomy cuts, finished seams and edges, and quality fabrics. Confirm sizing information carefully and make sure it will fit your kid perfectly! Sizing can be a bit tricky with Halloween costumes; it’s always advisable to go bigger. You never know; maybe you’ll need to put additional layers under the costume to cater for those cold trick-or-treating nights. Also, most of these costumes tend to run small!
- Easy to Put on/off – Wrestling your kid in and out of a complex costume will spoil the merry for both of you. Consider costumes with snaps, long zippers, or detailed one-piece jumpsuits that look elaborate.
- Consider the Weather- If you are in a cold area, consider costumes that offer warmth, such as bubble-suits, animal jumpsuits, or buntings for kids, designed for easy layering. Consider adding an elegant cape to that lovely princess costume instead of throwing in an everyday parka.
Construction and Design
Kids Halloween costumes lets your child’s individual personality come out, with a huge selection of designs and characters. Girls can dress up as their favorite Disney queen, princess, butterfly princesses, or as light-up fairy. Boys can go for superheroes and other popular characters. But, do not forget that accessories such as masks, gloves, warrior shield, shoes, pails, and wands are just as crucial as the costume! For instance, can you imagine a pirate without a sword, a cop with handcuffs, or a powerful superhero without his cape?
Other accessories to consider include:
- Wigs – By adding a wig to your child’s Halloween costume, you are able to complete his/her desired look. There is a wide selection of kids’ wigs in different colors and designs- white, black, long, short, neon, you just name it.
- Fake Mustaches and Beards –Your child will steal the party if you included a fake beards and mustaches in his/her Halloween costume. You can also include whiskers, ranging from curly to straight and brunet to blonde.
- Halloween Hats – For boys, a perfect Halloween hat will complete most of the costumes. A pirate’s costume, for instance, cannot be whole without a pirate hat with crossbones and skulls. A showgirl costume cannot be complete without an over-the-top feather headpiece.
- Toy Weapons and Armor – Some Halloween costumes are never complete without lethal toy weapons or armor such as shields, plastic swords, and toy guns. Of course, it is important not to use real guns or any sharp blades.
Performance and Ease of Use
Kids Halloween costumes come in a variety of colors, textures, and styles, so you are sure to get something that suits your child’s preferences. Also, note that there are costumes designed for one-time use and others that your child can wear to other events such as church presentations and even to future Halloween events. Again, choose according to you and your child’s preference. Some manufacturers even offer an array of fabrics that you can buy and create your kid’s costume from. This will solve issues with size and also give you an opportunity to do some mix and matching.
When choosing a Halloween costume for your child, consider whether you will want to wash it or if your child will only use it once. If it’s for one-time use, you can go with a less costly and light fabric. But, if your child will need it for future seasons, go for fabrics that are machine-washable and those that don’t shrink or fade.
Every child is different, and that's why the brands we're featuring offer a huge variety of boys and girls costumes, from super heroes and princesses to little police officers and ferocious animals. We compared the prices of these costumes against the quality of material and design so you can make the best purchase possible. We've also chosen costumes with available sizes ranging from toddler to teen so you can find the perfect fit. No matter what you're looking for, these expert brands have a bunch of options for you to choose from.
The first consideration for picking the best kids Halloween costume is, of course, your child's interests. If you don't see an option that fits your child's personality, make sure you see what other great children’s Halloween costumes the brands may offer. Beyond characters, consider safety, quality of material and durability, if you want to use your new costume more than once. Check out user reviews for the best info on how well each costume fits and handles rough conditions.