What Are the Best Laundry Detergent Brands? Read Our Laundry Soap Reviews to Find Out
When choosing a laundry detergent, there are a lot factors to be considered such as the type, scent, type of clothing being washed, and more. After reading about those factors in our buying guide (locate below our reviews), we hope you’ll have a fairly good idea of what you need. We highlighted the important features of several detergents, and hopefully you’ll find the detergent that meets your needs.
Related: 5 Spring Cleaning Products You NEED Before Summer
Our Top Choice
The Tide PODS® Laundry Detergent makes items 6 times cleaner than most detergents and comes with detergent, stain remover, and brightener. Are you in the market for a ecofriendly liquid laundry detergent? You can check out the Tide Purclean Plant-Based Liquid Laundry Detergent
. It's available in your choice of scented or unscented.
Tide PODS® Spring Meadow Turbo Laundry Detergent Pacs – 72 Load Tub
Tide is a top-class brand that has been around since 1946. It was founded in the United States and is dedicated to making top-quality detergents. The Tide brand has at least six powders and liquid detergents in circulation in the international market with a good record of customer satisfaction.
The Tide POD® Laundry Detergent (Selling for $17.99 - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) is made with high-quality ingredients for optimum stain removal. It is specifically formulated with HE turbo technology which contains quick-collapsing suds and targets tough stains. It makes items 6 times cleaner because of the efficiency of its stain removal process and is a 3-in-1 laundry pack containing detergent, stain remover, and brightener. It is perfect for large loads because of its HE turbo technology and is manufactured in the US.
Tide has other laundry detergents you might be interested in:
- Tide PODS Original Scent HE Turbo Laundry Detergent Pacs -- These pacs dissolve quickly both in hot and cold water
- Tide Smart Pouch Free & Gentle HE Liquid Laundry Detergent -- This delivers a deep clean that is gentle on your skin
- Tide Ultra Power Original Detergent Powder -- Suitable for high-efficiency machines
The Arm and Hammer Liquid Laundry Detergent contains no phosphate so it is very safe to use and it leaves clothes fresh, clean, and uniquely scented. If you want a powdered detergent, you should check out the Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent Plus OxiClean Power Paks
. It is the only laundry detergent pack with bi-layer technology.
Arm & Hammer Clean-Burst Liquid Laundry Detergent – Available in Variety of Sizes and Other Scents
Arm and Hammer was founded in 1867 in the United States. It is an old and reliable brand. It is dedicated to giving its customers the absolute best in household products and maximum satisfaction. It makes most of its products with baking soda as a main component. It is one of the longest-running brands and one of the most recognized in the US.
The Arm & Hammer Liquid Laundry Detergent (Selling for $13.28 - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) is a top bestselling detergent made with the world's best chemicals which contain no harmful materials. It is also great for all machines including HE (high efficiency). It leaves clothes fresh, clean, and uniquely scented.
Arm and Hammer has other laundry detergent options for your consideration:
- Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent Plus OxiClean Fresh Scent -- This has a unique fresh scent to leave you wanting more
- Arm & Hammer Bioenzyme Power Laundry Detergent Pack -- This detergent dissolves easily and is great for all machine types
- Arm & Hammer Clean Burst Laundry Detergent HE – True to type, gives you effective washing
- Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent for Sensitive Skin -- This detergent is great for sensitive skin and works on most machine types
The Gain Original Laundry Detergent is a fabric softener that leaves your clothes feeling fresh, new, and stain-free. Would you prefer a liquid detergent that is just as efficient (and great smelling) but specially made for high-efficiency washing machines? You can check out Gain HE Compatible Liquid Laundry Detergent
Gain Flings Laundry Pacs - Your Choice of Unscented or Scented Aroma Burst Laundry Detergent
Gain started in 1969 with a powerful stain removal detergent. Since then, it has expanded greatly. Gain is famous for its liquid dishwashing scents, which are original and nice-smelling. Gain’s aim is to satisfy its customers with their high-quality detergents, making everyone’s laundry day easy and stress free.
The Gain Original Laundry Detergent (Selling for $19.97 Manufacturer's Retail Price) is one of the highest-quality detergents. It is easy to use and makes laundry day exciting. It has a fabric softener and leaves clothes feeling new. It comes in different varieties, in case you are washing different types of clothes.
There are other detergents from Gain. Here are some:
- Gain with Freshlock Original Powder Detergent -- This detergent makes clothes fresh for over two weeks because of its scent
- Gain Liquid Detergent with Freshlock, Apple Mango Tango Scent – It removes dirt and replaces it with an Apple Mango Tango Scent
- Gain Smart Pouch Liquid Laundry Detergent, Original Scent - It has a versatile pack for easy storage and it leaves clothes clean
- Gain Liquid Fabric Softener, Original Scent – This detergent leaves clothes feeling soft, and leaves it with a White Floral Jasmine undertone
- Gain Fireworks In-Wash Scent Booster -- Its scent can last up to 12 weeks
Charlie’s Soap Eco Friendly Laundry Powder is a nontoxic biodegradable detergent that is efficient for laundry. It is a scent-free powder detergent that is also residue-free. If you are looking for a liquid detergent instead of a powdered one, we recommend you check out Charlie’s Soap Natural Deep Cleaning Hypoallergenic Liquid Laundry Detergent
which is safe for any machine and septic system.
Charlie’s Soap Eco Friendly Laundry Detergent Powder – Hypoallergenic Deep Cleaning Laundry Powder
Charlie’s Soap has been around since the 1980s, but officially started in 2002. It has a dedicated team whose mission is to develop and manufacture products of the highest quality distributed worldwide. It makes biodegradable, eco-friendly, and hypo-allergenic detergents and soaps. It uses high-quality ingredients to ensure customers all-around satisfaction.
The Charlie’s Soap Eco Friendly Laundry Powder (Selling for $17.47 - Manufacturer's Retail Price) is a scent-free powder detergent that cleans thoroughly and rinses completely. It is also residue-free. It is nontoxic, biodegradable, and is great for sensitive skin. It is made with the highest-quality ingredients.
Following are other detergents and related products by Charlie’s Soap:
- Charlie's Soap Laundry Liquid - This is safe and effective for all fabrics which makes laundry day simple
- Charlie's Soap Laundry Booster and Hard Water Treatment - This detergent is environment-safe and is made to soften water and leave no hard water scale
- Charlie's Soap Biodegradable Laundry Pre-Spray - This is safe for all washables and ensures clothes do not fade
- Charlie's Soap Laundry Powder - This detergent does not irritate sensitive skin and cleans with industrial strength
- Charlie's Soap Oxy Bleach - It’s nontoxic and whitens whites and removes tough stains and odors
Persil ProClean Power-Liquid is packed with Pro-Power Technology to help remove any tough stains leaving your clothes exceptionally clean and residue-free. Are you looking for a powder detergent which is specially made to protect bright-colored fabrics? Then we recommend Persil’s Color Megaperls
Persil ProClean Power-Liquid Laundry Detergent – Available in Multiple Scents and Sizes
Persil was the first commercially-available "self-activated" laundry detergent and since then it has been delivering top-quality products. It is dedicated to producing and exploring safe chemicals that help to remove stains and dirt from clothes through its detergents and soaps. It makes laundry simple, giving its customers great satisfaction.
The Persil ProClean Power-Liquid (Selling for $10.13 - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) is a detergent that is made to remove tough stains from clothes during washing. It’s highly effective and made from high-quality ingredients. It is also good for everyday laundry.
Persil has other great detergents. Here are some for your consideration:
- Persil Hygiene Disinfectant Rinse 1.5L Single Bottle which removes germs and bacteria.
- The Persil Color Gel 1.241 Liter (15+2 Loads) is good for protecting colors.
- Persil Proclean Power-Caps Laundry Detergent, Original, 20 Count which is used for pre-measure detergent capsules
- Persil ProClean Hypoallergenic Power-Liquid Sensitive Skin Laundry Detergent, 100 fl oz has a hypo-allergenic formula for sensitive skin and leaves clothes fresh and clean
- Persil Sensitive Gel Liquid Laundry Detergent - 1.095L, 15 Loads by Persil which is good for sensitive skin
Best Baby Laundry Detergent Buying Guide - How to Pick Gentle and Fresh Smelling Detergent for your Fabrics
We honestly don’t know how consumers have managed not to faint when faced with all the detergents available these days. Have you met the stampede of brands in the stores, both online and offline? It’s a bloodbath out there!
First they told us powder was the way to go. We bought. Then they said, powder was old-fashioned and liquid was in, so we opened our wallets. “Oh no!” they said, “Whiteners! Whiteners everybody!” And like headless chickens, we ran like crazy to purchase. Then came oxidizers or was it pacs and pods? We broke our piggy banks. Right after that were softeners, and again we threw our two cents to their collection bag. And of course, let’s not forget the mantra: “new and improved blah blah blah…”
Aaaaaarrrrrggggggh! How come these guys are dictating the tune? Are we paying the Pied Piper?
It was a Saturday morning. “Laundry day!” we declared as the alarm went off. Jumping up, we opened our curtains and dashed to our wardrobes to grab our “new and improved detergent.” Skipping to the washing machine with the laundry hamper under our arm, we dumped our clothes in with glee. We poured a tiny amount of our detergent in, just like the woman in the commercial said. “Now for some pancakes and OJ while we wait”, we said to ourselves.
An hour later, we stare at our beloved clothes in disbelief, tears streaming down our cheeks. Pathetically, we remember their words: “Try this new one,” they said, “It’s new and improved,” they said. We expected the clothes to rise from the machine like a phoenix. Instead we couldn’t even recognize… wait, are you sure someone didn’t swap them while we were lounging? But of course that was just our mind rendering palliative measures before crossing over to the land of no return on the wings of depression. Sigh!
Who can relate? There’s almost no one without an epic detergent fail story, the same way there are very few people who really understand how detergents work. In simple English, detergent is meant to attract and repel dirt, remove stains, add freshness, clean, and brighten. A tough call for one household item. There’s always that murmuring about which type of detergent is better: liquid, powder, or pacs. In actuality, we’re asking the wrong questions to begin with.
In essence, any type of detergent that has the correct formulation gets the prize! Which reminds us…
There aren’t just hundreds of detergents in the market, there are also scores of detergent types! How do we know which is which and contains the magic formula? The next section looks briefly into several of them and how to use them for optimum performance.
Video: 15 Laundry Hacks to Make Laundry Faster
15 Laundry Tips and Tricks. | Courtesy of Millennial Moms
Anything between $10 and $20 will provide a fantastic detergent. As there are many detergents within this price range that claim to be the best, it’s wise to stay within the brands featured in this review. They have other detergents besides the ones featured.
There are many detergents out there with the same brand promise said in different ways. Here’s a trick to snagging the best ones: look out for the following features:
- Type - Powder, liquid or pacs
- How to add to the Washing Machine
Let’s now look at these in more details.
Construction and Design
In the broad sense, there are basically three forms that laundry soap come in, each with their own pros and cons:
- Powder Detergent - While powder detergents may not be the flashiest, they actually trump other detergents in more ways than one. For example: the cardboard packaging is better for the environment, they last longer, and they are the least expensive type of detergents. On the flip side, they cake when exposed to moisture and are not advised for color-fast clothes.
- Liquids - Liquids 75% of total sales of detergent in the U.S are liquid, making it the most popular by far. The downside is that its packaging is detrimental to the environment because they take a long time to degrade. Even though you can’t achieve a brightness-and-fragrance technology combo in liquid detergent (or any other type for that matter), it’s still the go-to detergent for oily and greasy stains.
- Pacs - Pacs are fast gaining on powder detergents in terms of market share because while they are more expensive, they’re a lot more convenient. Just throw them at the bottom of the machine, throw the clothes on top, and we can get the party started. Not to mention the ease of transporting them—it’s a breeze! Sadly, Pacs might have been too sweet in their ads. Apparently, a few sweet-toothed kids mistook the pacs for candy at one time or another, which is a potential risk. Still, a huge plus for pacs is their portability and convenience.
Video: What Happens When You Use Too Much Laundry Detergent?
How Much Laundry Detergent to Use. | Courtesy of The King of Random
Performance and Ease of Use
Apart from the types of detergents that exist, there are different detergents made for different purposes. There are Jack-of-all-trade-detergents, but there are specialized detergents like those used specifically with cold water. This is a brilliant way to save money by cutting down on your electric bill.
We also have detergents which function specifically as whiteners or brighteners and those that contain and function as softeners. Do not expect your whitener or brightener to smell like lilies, because it is not yet scientifically possible to achieve a brightener-fragrance-combo. Keep in mind softeners should not be used on baby clothes and clothes that are flame retardant, studies show that doing that reduces the retardant ability in said clothes.
Your best option for fragrance is still liquid detergent, if you’re willing to forego brightness. Just bear in mind that the more fragrant your detergent is, the less likely it will be to actually brighten your clothes. So, what’s more important to you: scent or brightness/whiteness?
Also consider your washing machine: is it a front-loader, a high efficiency top-loader, or an agitator top-loader? This too determines what detergent to use. Although there aren’t any specifics for agitator top-loaders, with the other two types of machines, manufacturers strongly advise the use of high efficiency (HE) detergents (which also double as dual purpose detergents).
HE detergents have less suds, which is why they work perfectly with front loaders and high efficiency top-loaders; both use significantly less water than agitator top-loaders. Due to their popularity, they have phased out agitator-specific detergents and are now used on all three types of machines.
A final word on laundry in general: Please measure your detergents as instructed by the manufacturer, don’t just pour like you’re testing the laws of gravity. Isaac Newton did that already. The measuring caps are not there for decoration; use them. If they are confusing, follow the instructions on the pack and draw a line around the cap with a marker so that you can always remember not to exceed that limit.
Get the Best Laundry Detergent of 2020!
We hope you have the information you need to buy the right detergents for your laundry. Now go ahead and place your order with confidence.
Our Top Choice
Tide PODS® Laundry Detergent
Arm & Hammer Liquid Laundry Detergent
Gain Flings Laundry Detergent Pods
Charlie’s Soap Eco Friendly Laundry Powder
Persil ProClean Power-Liquid
Laundry Detergent FAQs
What is the best laundry detergent?
The best laundry detergent is one that can attract & repel dirt, clean, remove stains, add freshness, and brighten clothes. It could be in the form of a powder or liquid. Regardless, its formulation should be good enough to clean clothes without shedding color. If you are using a washing machine, the detergent should be easy to add. Read our buying guide to find out more on this!
How much laundry detergent to use?
The amount of laundry detergent to use is a tablespoon of powder detergent for every regular load. However, it would help if you were careful with laundry detergent since it comes with a measuring cup that can be deceiving. When full, the laundry cup will contain ten times the amount of detergent you should use. So, it would be best if you were careful when measuring liquid detergent.
How does laundry detergent work?
Laundry detergent works by loosening stains and dirt on a piece of cloth. Detergents usually contain surfactants that give water the ability to spread on surfaces and wet things better. Water is also quickly seeping into the fibers of dirty clothes breaking stains. Surfactants also have a molecule that attaches to water on one end and grease and dirt on the other. That way, the surfactant helps water to grip the grease and break it up. That’s how detergent gets rid of dirt and grease from your clothes.
How to get rid of an allergic reaction to laundry detergent?
To eliminate an allergic reaction to laundry detergent, you need to change the product you use. If you have sensitive skin, make sure you buy a specially formulated detergent. However, it would be best if you found a way to reduce the allergic reaction. Therefore, wash the affected area of the skin with warm water.
How to remove laundry detergent stains from clothes?
To remove laundry detergent stains from clothes, first, mix a quart of water with one cup of vinegar. Place the stained item into the tub and wait until it’s wet to start rubbing the stained portion of the garment. That simple action should remove the detergent stain from the garment.