Who Makes the Best Leaf Blowers For the Money? Read Our Reviews and See
We have chosen brands that are known for reliable products and excellent customer satisfaction. Consider the amount of debris you have to clear and the size of your yard to find the leaf blower with the best functionalities for you. Here are our top five picks! But a quick note before we get to that, we have need to give a shout out to EGO Power
, and Ryobi
who also have some good quality and affordable leaf mowers.
Our Top Choice
The Greenworks DigiPro G-Max Cordless Leaf Blower & Vac features powerful variable speed and vacuum mode for versatile performance you can rely on for a range of yard work. If you're looking to pay less and clean up a smaller area, check out the high-rated 7 amp Corded Blower from Greenworks
. It even includes the extension cord!
Greenworks G-MAX 40V DigiPro Leaf Vacuum and Corded Electric Leaf Blower - Wet/Dry, 185 MPH
The experts at Greenworks make it easy for beginners and professionals alike to get through their yard work in no time at all. This variable speed leaf blower is user-friendly, and it packs all the power you'll need to get the job done.
Let's take a closer look at the Greenworks G-MAX leaf blower:
- This leaf blower allows you to adjust the speed up to 185 miles per hour for the toughest debris.
- By using the variable speed, you can easily blow away wet, dense leaves as well as dry leaves for maximum versatility.
- DigiPro brushless motor technology improves performance and generates less noise than most leaf blowers.
- Lithium Ion is the top-of-the-line when it comes to battery power. The 40V Lithium ion battery delivers long battery life with low charge times and lasts longer than standard batteries.
- This leaf blower converts automatically into a vacuum so you can easily accomplish different tasks around the yard without switching tools.
The Greenworks DigiPro Leaf Blower can be purchased with or without the battery and charger. It can also be bought in a bundle with a Greenworks string trimmer on Amazon.
Make your job easier and spend less time working with the Greenworks DigiPro G-Max Leaf Blower & Vacuum!
The Toro Ultra Blower/Vac is a simple and inexpensive way to clear your patio, driveway or sidewalks. It features consistent 250 MPH electric power and a no-tool conversion to vacuum mode. For just a bit more, the Toro UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum
features the same quality plus their Oscillating Nozzle and Shredz Ring for easier yard maintenance.
Toro Ultra Blower – Cleans, Blows, Vacuums and Mulches, Variable Speed Knob, Metal Impeller, Cord Lock System
Toro prides itself on total reliability in their range of power tools and vehicles built for professionals and homeowners alike. The Ultra line of leaf blowers is no exception, packing in a range of heavy-duty features and a durable frame.
Let's take a closer look:
- Easily convert this leaf blower into a vacuum without having to use tools.
- Special tube nozzles let you adjust air flow – the power nozzle insert pushes more air through a small area so you can easily create piles of leaves, while the concentrator insert has an even smaller opening for more powerful, concentrated air flow – allowing you to dislodge stuck-on debris.
- Metal blades quickly turn vacuumed leaves into mulch so you can easily carry countless leaves in a single bag.
- A built-in hook lets you lock an extension cord in place so it won't come out during operation.
- Finally, a simple knob allows you to adjust the speed so you can tackle any debris.
Amazon features bundles, including an extension cord and extension cord holder, in case you don't already have a spare. You can also get this leaf blower in a variety of versions, ranging from 160 MPH to the 250 MPH Ultra Plus model with extra accessories, making it an even more powerful yard tool.
Get the inexpensive, but consistent Toro Blower/Vac/Mulcher on sale at Amazon today!
The Husqvarna Gas-Powered Blower makes heavy-duty and frequent use easy with powerful blowing action and a backpack harness which has padded shoulder straps and a hip belt. If you don't need such a powerful machine, Husqvarna also sells a less expensive version made for homeowners – the Husqvarna Ergonomic 125BVx Leaf Blower
Husqvarna 350BT Backpack Leaf Blower – 2.1 HP X-Torq Gas Engine, 180 MPH, 7500 RPM
Husqvarna offers a wide range of heavy-duty yard and foresting equipment for professionals and homeowners alike. You can find a range of power tools with varying power outputs for different uses and frequency of use. This leaf blower has the power for commercial use, however, it is easy to use and is available on Amazon for a homeowner-friendly price.
Let's see what makes a leaf blower commercial-grade:
- An included backpack harness makes it easy to use this leaf blower for extended periods of time – ideal for landscapers and homeowners with large areas to clear.
- The 2.1 HP X-Torq engine is both powerful and fuel efficient so you can make the most of every ounce of gas. It also produces fewer fuel emissions than leaf blowers with similar power.
- Adjustable fan speed lets you control the power for easier handling and dealing with stubborn debris.
- The air purge feature automatically removes air from carburetor and fuel system so you can easily start the leaf blower without problems.
- The handle is adjustable so that you can be comfortable while you clean up the yard.
- LowVib technology dampens vibration between the engine and the blower frame to reduce shaking and make your job easier.
Get the powerful, heavy-duty Husqvarna Gas-Powered Leaf Blower today, and easily keep your yard clear!
The Hitachi Gas-Powered Leaf Blower is a reliable and powerful way to deal with large amounts of debris on your property. If you're looking for something more powerful, check out the Hitachi PureFire Leaf Blower with more features and a powerful low-emission engine. Don't need a commercial blower? Looking for a super cheap leaf blower for occasional use? The Sun Joe Electric Leaf Blower
was under 20 bucks when we last checked!
Hitachi RB24EAP 23.9cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered Handheld Leaf Blower – CARB Compliant, Up to 170 MPH, Lighteight, 7-Year Warranty
One of the first things we noticed about Hitachi was their industry-leading warranty – seven years for consumers and two years for commercial use. It's no surprise that Hitachi is so confident in their products since they tend to be highly durable and efficient. This gas-powered leaf blower is no exception, getting the job done reliably and for a low price. You can't go wrong with Hitachi!
Let's see where the Hitachi Leaf blower stands out:
- The high-performance engine moves more debris than competitors in its price range so you can easily clear large amounts of leaves and light snow.
- The commercial-grade, 2-stroke engine means you get more power and longer lasting engine life – the best of both worlds.
- For its power, this leaf blower is lightweight and easy to handle – even for beginners.
- The industry-leading, 7-year warranty is not often seen, but this durable machine is just that reliable.
The Black & Decker 40V MAX is a versatile leaf blower with two options – one for sweeping away leaves and debris; and another for vacuuming them up to be disposed of somewhere else. It’s lightweight and quiet, making the task simple and enjoyable. Want more power? Go for the 250 mph 3-in-1 Electric Leaf Blower and Mulcher with Leaf Vacuum combo
Black & Decker 40V MAX Electric Cordless Leaf Blower, Sweeper & Vac – LiIon, Variable Speeds, Lightweight Leaf Blower
Black & Decker is always reliable when it comes to power tools and yard equipment. That's why we chose this highly rated sweeper vac, built for quickly clearing debris from hard surfaces like patios, sidewalks and driveways.
Let's see what makes the sweeper vac stand out:
- Lightweight construction makes your job an absolute breeze – clear your patio or driveway in no time without lugging around heavy machinery.
- Mulching fan automatically packs up to 6 bags of leaves down to 1 bag while you vacuum so you can clear your entire yard without changing the bag.
- Low-noise design muffles sound to make clearing more pleasant for you – not to mention your neighbors.
- Vacuum mode quickly picks up debris to make cleaning easier.
- Special POWERCOMMAND controls let you maximize run-time or maximum blowing power so you can customize your blowing power for each job.
- A built-in scraper at the end of the blowing/suction tube lets you easily scrape up stubborn leaves and other debris.
- 40V Max Lithium ion battery offers low charge time and high battery life so you can spend less time worrying about power and more time getting the job done.
This Black & Decker leaf blower is available with or without a Lithium ion battery so you can reuse the battery from other Black & Decker products.
Get the always reliable, highly rated Black & Decker 40V Sweeper & Vacuum today!
Leaf Blower Buying Guide: Should You Get a Corded, Gas Powered or Cordless Leaf Blower?
Various trees like maple, oak, or birch provide great shade and natural ambience for your yard, but they can really mess it up every morning by shedding hundreds, if not thousands, of leaves every day. Even if you’re very determined to clear the leaves using your garden rake
, you’re bound to burn lots of elbow grease. A powerful leaf blower can make your work easier by collecting the mess within a few minutes.
A leaf blower is not just a once-in-a-season landscape machine; you can make use of it all year round. These versatile devices come in handy for spring’s windblown walkways, summer’s sandy decks, as well as for clearing light snow during winter. It’s great since it works on pavements and narrow sidewalks as well as lawns, unlike a lawn sweeper
that may be limited to wide lawns, not to mention that most models are heavy in weight and may need tractor towing.
There are numerous leaf blower types on the market, but they basically fall into three categories: gas-powered, battery-powered, and corded electric models. They also come in a variety of styles such as handheld units, wheeled models, and backpack models. If you choose to go with a corded electric model, it’s important to consider the length of your yard and get an appropriate extension cord
to reach every area. Some leaf blower models incorporate extra features and attachments you can use to clean upholstery and carpets, wash the car, scrub the floor, and much more.
Now, how do you choose the right leaf blower for your home or commercial building? We’ve ventured far and wide to review five of the best leaf blower brands that you can’t go wrong with. We’ve also posted this guide to inform you of the critical features to look out for, so you can choose a perfect machine that suits your needs as well as budget.
One final word: when using a leaf blower, be mindful of your neighbors. These machines can be quite loud so, if you’re an early riser, your neighbor may not be amused. Some communities have established rules to restrict the use of leaf blowers within some hours of the day, and some have totally prohibited gas leaf blowers due to their noise
. Always check with your neighborhood as well as your town’s regulations before you purchase a leaf blower.
With that said, let’s go straight to some critical features to consider before you make your final decision on which leaf blower model to pick, then you can check out our top picks.
Related: How to Sharpen Lawn Mower Blades for a Perfectly Manicured Yard Every Time
Although our review steered clear of very cheap leaf blowers, the cheapest model on our list is still affordable and provides great functions and quality you can rely on. A good-quality, modest leaf blower will cost about $70, while a premium model will cost around $350, depending on the features and the mode of operation (gas, battery, or cord). A commercial backpack leaf blower typically will cost you at least $500.
Anything that costs below $50 could just be some low-quality imitation that probably won’t give you great value for your money.
It’s important to note that all machinery made for yard work will generate some level of noise and vibration. Some manufactures have designed their high-end leaf blowers with mechanisms to reduce vibrations and noise, hence cutting down on the discomfort of your ears as well as your wrists. These models will come at an extra cost.
Video: Gas vs Electric Leaf Blower Comparison
Corded electric, cordless battery powered and gas blowers each have their own pros and cons | Courtesy of Social Nope
Prices quoted in this video are from 2018. You can view current prices on Amazon below.
Beyond mulching and vacuuming capabilities, there are several features you can look for when choosing a good leaf blower for your landscape needs. Here are a few features we consider critical:
- Engine Type – A two-cycle engine offers a good balance of weight and power, but they operate on a combination of gasoline and oil. You can mix the fuel yourself or buy it pre-mixed. A four-cycle engine runs purely on gasoline, which eliminates the need for mixing fuel. However, they are relatively heavier than comparable two-cycle engines and need regular oil changes.
- Power Rating – The power output of a leaf blower is indicated in amps (A) for corded blowers, volts (V) for cordless blowers, and cubic centimeters (cc) for gasoline-powered blowers. For gasoline-powered leaf blowers, the startup is made easier with simplified choke operation. The speed of air exiting the unit is measured in miles-per-hour (MPH) ratings and this is another measure of the device’s power output. Additionally, the volume of air moved by the blower is indicated in cubic-feet-per-minute ratings (CFM) . A blower with a higher CFM rating will move more debris while larger diameter chutes enable the unit to collect more leaves – this is applicable for units with vacuum capabilities.
- Optional Features – While most leaf blowers function to clear debris, some models have extra vacuum settings. These models suck up debris and direct it to an attached bag for simplicity in disposal. Some even have shredding functions to turn the debris into mulch that can be used in gardens and shrubs. The shredding also reduces the volume of debris, making it easy to dispose of.
Construction and Design
In terms of design and construction, leaf blowers fall into three major categories: cordless electric blowers, cordless gasoline blowers, and corded electric blowers.
Electric leaf blowers
are relatively low-maintenance machines that are lighter and quieter compared to gasoline blowers. They are also easy to start. Light-duty electric leaf blowers are used on driveways, patios, and decks, while higher-power electric leaf blowers are great for yards stretching to a quarter of an acre.
Corded leaf blowers
, on the other hand, offer a steady power output without the weight of extra battery packs. However, the cords restrict mobility and may not be effective for long stretches. They are, however, great for blowing areas around the house. Always check the manufacturer’s specs for compatible extension cords and follow the power cord safety tips.
Cordless leaf blowers
offer better mobility. These blowers use high-voltage batteries to provide power and run time. The battery bank means additional weight on the unit, making them heavier than the cordless counterparts. The batteries require periodic recharging so, depending on your landscaping needs and how long you’re going to run the blower, you may need a spare battery pack.
Gas-powered leaf blowers
offer maximum mobility and run time, hence suited for large areas – usually more than a quarter of an acre. Depending on the model you choose, these units can offer prolonged use. These blowers are started by pulling a manual crank while some models may allow for an extra power device that can be purchased separately. Always ensure that you use the right fuel for gasoline-powered blowers and regularly change the oil for maximum efficiency.
Video: How to Use a Leaf Blower Properly – Backpack Leafe Blower Demo
Leaf blower tips and techniques for leaf removal. | Courtesy of Lawn Care Juggernaut
Performance and Ease of Use
Leaf blowers are relatively easy to use. The most common type of leaf blower is the handheld model. However, you can also find the backpack models and wheeled walk-behind models. The wheeled leaf blowers provide extra power
and comfort for extended use in wide areas.
Leaf blowers that convert into vacuums for collecting light debris, such as small leaves and twigs, and channel it into an attached bag make it easy to dispose of debris without having to follow with a collecting bin. Some models even convert to vacuum/mulchers and operate by collecting and grinding the debris, making it easy to dispose of the debris or use the mulch in the garden
or other landscape areas.
If you’re not constrained by budget, it can be fulfilling to get a machine that handles a variety of landscape maintenance tasks
through additional attachments for leaf blowing, pressure washing, snow blowing, lawn mowing, and much more. This reduces maintenance and storage need to a single unit.
The best leaf blowers come with variable speeds, which is important for controlling your speed to suit the task at hand. This may come in the form of a knob near the leaf blower’s handle or sometimes by how much you squeeze the hand lever.
Get the Best Leaf Blower of 2020!
Whether you have a small yard or a huge lot, we are confident that you will find the best leaf blower from one of these brands to get the job done. If you didn’t find a perfect fit for your situation from our selection, feel free to sample other models from these brands. So, go ahead and buy a leaf blower that suits your needs and budget!
Our Top Choice
Greenworks G-MAX DigiPro Electric Leaf Blower/Vac
Toro Ultra 51621 – 3 in 1 Leaf Blower, Vacuum and Shredder
Husqvarna 350BT Gas Backpack Leaf Blower
Hitachi Handheld Commercial Leaf Blower
BLACK & DECKER 40V MAX Lithium Sweeper and Vacuum
Leaf Blower FAQs
What is the best gas blower for the money?
When it comes to the best gas blower, you only need to look at the features that these devices come with. Most of those we have reviewed pack a lot of great features, including more powerful engines than those in electric machines. For instance, the Husqvarna 350BT is more powerful, given its 180 MPH speed. It is also costlier, thanks to the backpack harness that makes it extremely convenient to carry.
Who makes the best backpack leaf blower?
There are many brands that are known for quality when it comes to leaf blowers. Hitachi and Husqvarna, are, however two of the most reputable names out there. They each have over a century’s industry experience. And we have featured both in our review (as well as several other quality brands).
When is the best time to buy a leaf blower?
The best time to buy a leaf blower is summer, just before fall. Manufacturers of these devices rarely offer seasonal price reductions during this period, as many people are getting prepared to clean up with driveways and yards when the leaves start to fall. So, if you want a bargain, keep checking the stores or online for available discounts. Check out our review for some cool options.