Whether it's a hand massage during a manicure, a decent stroke with a body massager
, or a back rub by your partner, a nice rubdown can be a timely godsend. But it’s not just the nice feeling; research indicates that getting an effective massage actually improves your health. You probably wouldn’t want to argue with science, and rightly so! Keep that in mind the next time you go for a massage.
Now, massage chairs came into existence in the 80s and the intention was to imitate professional physiotherapists who apply massage techniques to relieve muscle aches, back pain, stress, tension, and general pain. Interest in massage chairs has greatly grown and the equipment is now extremely fashionable.
There are numerous types of massage chairs on the market, with each model having unique styles, features, and designs. So, choosing the right one for your business or personal use can be a huge challenge. Regardless of what features you’re looking for, we’ve done an expert review of the top-rated massage chairs for you to check out before you pick one. If you’re running a spa, you probably want to get a decent massage table
As you shop for a massage chair that best suits your needs, you may want to consider several factors, including your budget, the size, construction materials, and of course, the brand. Many clients already associate with certain reputable brands and they’ll feel that they’re getting quality services by recognizing those brands in your facility. The same applies to other spa equipment such as electric foot massagers
which can be quite rewarding after a long day’s work.
Let’s go through the consideration factors, and then you can jump straight to our picks.
The price of a massage chair will be of great importance to you, especially if you’re buying for commercial purposes. You can find cheap massage chairs for as little as $51, but they probably won’t last long as the construction may be of poor quality materials. More expensive products tend to have superior quality construction and can last much longer. Our picks are still widely spaced with the least expensive costing $90 and the most expensive one costing $8,000.
Now, you can’t hook a price tag on relaxation and good health, can you? Whether your goal is relaxation, relief from muscular injuries, or recovery from an active workout, massage is a necessary component of life. So, you’re probably interested in something that performs the task without breaking the bank, or the best massage chair money can buy.
Our experts understand that ergonomic health is important and take reviewing seriously, so we won’t encourage you to pick any old, nasty, and cheap massage chair you’ll find on the market. With that said, pick a model that suits your specific needs within your planned budget.
Choosing the right massage chair has never been a walk in the park, even for experienced massage parlor owners. There are many features that come into play, and you must find a balance to find a chair that will serve its purpose at a reasonable price. Apart from going with a reputable brand that your customers relate to, here are some critical features to look out for:
- Size - Massage chairs come in various sizes. Different construction materials can, however, keep the chair lightweight even with large sizes that fit taller clients. On the other hand, if you have limited storage space or transportation room, it makes sense to consider smaller models that can fit into your trunk.
- Weight - If you’re a massage therapist, you may want to carry your massage chair to offer on-site services, which is where the weight of your portable massage chair comes into play. Consider chairs made from lightweight materials to improve portability. However, be careful to check the chair’s capacity to support working and static weight. If you’re looking for a long-term investment in a massage chair, go for a chair with a higher weight capacity.
- Range of adjustments - A massage chair comes with a wide range of control functionalities such as armrests, leg support, face cradle, chest pad, and much more. Ensure that the massage chair has the basic range of adjustment you desire, but going overboard may mean spending a few more bucks.
- Initial Comfort - Before you even think of picking a massage chair, what’s the first feeling you get when you sit on it? Many massage therapists will attest to the fact that when you first try a massage chair and you feel comfortable on it, your clients will love it too. If that first reaction isn’t good, then the massage chair is off to a wrong start. Simply try out the next model.
- Range of Motion - How much can you customize various aspects of the massage chair? For instance, some models will incorporate adjustable heights, chest pads, head placement sizes, and leg holds. The best massage chair should accommodate the full range of people, from the shortest to the tallest.
- Assembly - How simple is the massage chair assembly? Can you fold it into narrow spaces or does it require full expert installation? Getting an easily deployable massage chair saves you time and space, as every minute counts in a massage parlor.
- Zero Gravity - This is a new feature for massage chairs that allows users to lie in an astronaut’s position, giving a distinctive sensation. When you lie in a reclined position, pressure is distributed evenly and safely across your body. Massaging under this condition allows for a deeper and more intense massage. Additionally, it takes stress away from your body, improves circulation, and can also prevent varicose veins.
Construction and Design
In this day and age, you’ll find massage chairs that provide a human-like massage, but behind that relaxing touch, there lies a very complex mechanism. If you choose to go with a basic massage chair, you’ll probably get a decent chair to sit on as a simple vibrator works on your back.
Regardless of the level of technology incorporated in a massage chair, the bottom line is to deliver a relaxing and energizing massage experience. Let’s look at different design approaches massage chair manufacturers take:
- Mechanical Massage Chairs - Many massage chairs use the mechanical approach to carry out the massage, while other models use water or airbags to improve blood circulation. You’ll also find more advanced models incorporating the two approaches, and the user can pick which feature to use at any given time.
- Vibrating Mechanisms - Manufacturers integrate various vibrating mechanisms on massage chairs to provide that great relaxing feeling. The mechanism may include motors, rollers, gears, and a weighted wheel to turn around your body by mimicking the movement of a human hand.
- Complex Models - Simple massage chairs are made from plain materials with no electronic or vibrating features. More elaborate massage chairs incorporate rollers within a mechanical arm that moves vertically to create a human-like massaging sensation. The motion can be designed to make vertical, horizontal, and circular movements. The overall movement and timing of the massage is controlled by a microprocessor, where the manufacturer programs the massage patterns.
Performance and Ease of Use
Now, massage chairs make the work of every massage therapist simple and hassle-free. The complex ones with motor powered rollers even eliminate the need for a professional massage therapist altogether. Let’s look at some parameters that affect the performance and ease of use of massage chairs:
- Adjusting the Intensity - High-quality massage chairs should allow adjusting of intensity. However, other low-end models require the user to manually change the massage chair length to adjust how far the rollers move away from the frame, or to mount the frame on a pivot in the backrest and choose an option that allows the frame to come closer or move further from your back.
- Operating Position - Some chairs use an electrical mechanism to change the position of the massage chair, while others operate in various positions (such as reclining) by simply pressing a button. However, more mechanical models use a hand level that you can release before pushing back the backrest manually.
- Computer Assisted Adjustability - A number of massage chair models are designed with computer-operated mechanisms to automatically adjust to body weight, height, width, and so on. The chairs measure the pressure on the seatback and automatically adjust various parameters to suit the user or pain position.
- Massaging Techniques - You can choose a massage chair model that provides a wide range of massaging techniques all in one chair. The techniques may include kneading, tapping, rolling, shiatsu, and gripping.
Plunging further into the world of soothing massages and physical therapies, we’ve come up with five of the best professional massage chairs out there. This list is brimming with terrific options—all you need to do is select the one that suits you and your business. There you go! With a list this handy, choosing the right massage chair should be no stress at all. So, what are you waiting for? Pick the one that you prefer and watch your business grow by leaps and bounds.
A decent massage is no longer a luxury reserved for the rich, but a critical part of an overall wellness plan. Getting the right massage chair is the first step towards achieving this goal. We hope that our review helped you find your ideal massage chair, but if you didn’t, consider other alternatives from these brands based on your budget and preferences.