What Is the Best Rice Cooker Brand on the Market? Read Our Reviews to Find the Right One for You!
Choosing the best rice cooker is about personal preference as well as supporting the required functions. You want a product that suits the décor of your kitchen. We’ve selected a range of rice cookers for you, all from reputable brands and all with different features and price tags—the right one is just a scroll away.
Just in case our featured brands don’t have exactly what you need, we want to mention two other brands worth considering. First comes the extra large Black and Decker Rice Cooker
with a capacity of up to 16 cups of cooked rice. Wow! That's a lot of rice. And then, on the opposite end of the spectrum we have the Dash Mini Rice Cooker which makes up to 2 cups
— perfect healthy portion control for singles, and couples.
Related:How to Cook a Ham in a Slow Cooker – Honey Glazed Ham Recipe for Crock Pot
Our Top Choice
The Instant Pot 7-in-1 Multifunctional Rice Cooker can accommodate all the rice needs for an average family, and is available in large, medium, small and mini sizes. If you don’t need all of this functionality, you will want to check out the Instant Zest Rice Cooker
line of from Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Rice Cooker, Electric Pressure Cooker, Sterilizer, Slow Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer – Variety of Options Available
Instant Pot is a 3rd-generation pressure cooker developed by Canadians. They aimed to create a cooking appliance that would help people produce healthy, nutritious food whilst also saving on energy; and they succeeded! The Instant Pot uses 70% less energy and speeds up your cooking time by 2-6 times.
It would not be wrong to state that the Instant Pot Rice Cooker is an instant hit. Its high quality and reliability mean that you will get uncompromised convenience and a peace of mind while cooking.
The features which are behind the success of this product are:
- Multifunctional: The Instant Pot is not just a simple rice cooker. It has seven functions which will allow you to pressure cook, slow cook, sauté, steam, and warm various kinds of food. This all-in-one specialty is what makes the cooker so popular. Its 24-cup capacity makes sure that there is always enough rice for the entire family.
- Highly Durable and Safe: Instant Pot checks all of its products for durability and robustness. It is constructed from a stainless-steel body and consists of high-quality electrical/mechanical parts. The unit has been bestowed with features such as a safety lid, a regulator, and leak protection sensors which promote safety and will enable you to always feel confident while using it. It is also UL- and ULC-certified.
- Smart & Programmable Interface: The Instant Pot promotes itself with the “smart” label. However, this is not just a flimsy marketing tactic. The cooker comes with a programmable interface that knows exactly how to make perfect rice and much more. There are predefined options for white rice, brown rice, or porridge. In its steamer mode, the Instant Pot can be given precise pressure settings to ensure that delicate foods are not damaged due to overcooking. There is also a “Keep Warm” mode for sustaining the rice at an optimum temperature.
- User-Friendly Add-Ons: An LCD clock, automatic delay cooking, manual overriding, and a set of measuring cups with spoons ensure that the Instant Pot is not just a smart machine during operation, but even before the start and after the end.
- Maintenance: With finger-print-resistant stainless steel, this rice cooker will be a breeze to maintain. Never worry about having grubby hand prints on your shiny new appliance, and easily remove the inner pot and place it in the dishwasher. Simple!
This rice cooker is nothing short of magic. It comes for a sweet price, and considering all the features it has, there is no question that it is a great value for money. To back up your investment, the manufacturer has also included a one-year warranty for manufacturing defects.
The Hamilton Beach 4-20 Cup Rice and Hot Cereal Cooker comes with a 2-in-1 rice rinser and steam basket that makes for easy rinsing of rice to prevent clumps, and also can be used to steam cook vegetables, fish, and other foods. In case you’d rather go for a slow cooker made with a dishwasher-safe lid and stoneware, check out the Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker
Hamilton Beach 4-20 Cup Rice and Hot Cereal Cooker – Available in 3 Sizes
Hamilton Beach is a household name when it comes to household and kitchen appliances with its remarkable range of products that makes your daily chores as painless as possible. Its products have good value and good thinking as the driving force behind their designs, and selling over 35 million products annually is a clear testament of quality and reliability. Established in 1910 by Hamilton L.H and Beach Chester, this brand has, over the decades, produced motor-powered appliances that are being used globally, among which is the iconic and versatile Drink Mixer. It has continued to manufacture high-performance appliances used and trusted by generations of families in the USA, Canada, Mexico, and other parts of the world. Its products are stylish and designed to suit any kitchen or house décor while giving maximum performance.
If you’re looking for a convenient, do-it-all rice cooker, then the Hamilton Beach Rice & Hot Cereal Cooker is definitely what you’re searching for. This rice cooker is made from durable stainless steel and is guaranteed to make your cooking time less stressful and also tasty. With this cooker, you take the guesswork out of preparing your rice, cereals, or grains utilizing its different cooking settings.
Here are some features that stand this rice cooker out from its competitors:
- An included rice rinser that doubles as a steam basket used for rinsing your rice prior to cooking to reduce clumping, and makes the rice tastier and more visually appealing after cooking
- The steam basket which can be used to steam-cook vegetables, salmon, zucchini, or any other food that needs steaming
- 5 different preprogrammed settings including steam-cook, heat/simmer, white rice, hot cereals, and whole grains ensures that you don’t waste your time trying to guess the appropriate cook time for any food you wish to prepare. Just select your preferred setting and check back after the designated timeframe for your ready and appetizing meal
- Keep Warm setting that lets you come home to a warm and ready-to-eat pot of food or waking to the scent of a warm and hearty pot of well-cooked cereal
- Slow or Delay Start button helps you plan your meal for as long as 15 hours ahead so you can always set your morning cereal to cook even in the night, and wake up to a warm breakfast waiting for you
- A single-cycle cooking design that allows for making a complete dinner in just one single cooking using one pot—steam the veggies and fish in the basket steamer while your rice is cooking away
- Non-stick pot suitable for cooking hot cereals, whole grains, rice, or even your favorite packaged rice mix without the hassles of setting a timer or boiling water
The Zojirushi Induction Heating Pressure Rice Cooker is an excellent option for those who enjoy rice on a regular basis. Don’t need the pressure cooker but still want perfect rice every time? Then the Zojirushi Premium Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooke
r and Warmer may be just what you are looking for.
Zojirushi Rice Cooker, Induction Heating Pressure Cooker and Warmer - Available in 2 Sizes
The Zojirushi Corporation started operation almost a century ago. Specializing in predicting and evolving the trending customer tastes, Zojirushi keeps on dispatching a consistent stream of top-quality cooking products that are functional and innovative. This rice cooker is one of the company’s most in-demand items.
The Zojirushi Rice/Pressure Cooker comes with features such as:
- Induction Heating AI + Fuzzy Logic Technology: The innovative fuzzy technology and the addition of an AI algorithm mean that this rice cooker "learns" and conforms the cooking cycle to get flawless results without fail. This rice cooker will naturally choose the optimum pressure settings for the best cooking results. The entire interior of the cooker gets heated instead of just the bottom, which gives the rice a more uniform temperature to cook in. The cooking dish changes the water quality and permits the rice to absorb water efficiently for better tasting results. Further, the unit can cook up to 5.5 cups of any type of rice you want, including white, brown, sushi, mixed, and more.
- Highest Durability and Solid Safety: Pot quality is the characteristic of an awesome cooker, and its development has a critical effect in the cooking of rice. The Zojirushi cooker comes as a sturdy, stainless-steel pot which enhances the equity of heat exchange, lessens distortion under pressure, and expands thermal mass, permitting the rice to stay warm for long durations within the cooker. If that is not enough, the pot has been manufactured in Japan, which is historically an indication of quality. For your safety during handling, the machine comes with a pressure regulator, a security valve, an internal cover filter, and a marker on the control board, which bolts the top closed when you start cooking. You will not find a more reliable rice cooker on the market!
- Several User-Friendly Add-Ons: The device comes with an installed LCD panel to indicate the operation at hand as well as the timer. The nonstick covering on the internal cooking skillet is imbued with platinum particles. The water is alkalized when filled and comes into contact with the platinum particles, bringing about extreme fluffiness in the rice. Better yet, the Umami setting guarantees that the rice cooked is sweeter than under standard settings. Other settings include Steam Reduce, Scorched Setting, Keep Warm, and Reheat. All these functions make the Zojirushi rice cooker the most feature-packed in the market at the moment.
- Maintenance: The stainless-steel cover with an incorporated rubber-treated gasket is removable for simple cleaning, which Zojirushi suggests doing after cooking each batch. Also note that due to the careful design, there are no real niches or corners where rice can get wedged into, so there is less effort involved in cleaning. Generally, this model has been engineered to be anything but difficult to keep up. Expect it to have a long life!
Zojirushi has cemented its standing in the business of rice cookers, and this model proves its worth. With its advanced features and great price, this rice cooker is truly a premium product and meant for every rice fanatic.
Despite being labeled as rice cookers, the Zojirushi products give you plenty of choices for cooking various foods. Porridge for breakfast? No problem. Sushi rice for dinner? Get it served.
The Aroma 8-Cup (Cooked) Digital Cool-Touch Rice Cooker and Food Steamer gives you quality without having to dig deep in your pockets. Want a simple rice cooker for making smaller quantities of rice? Take a look at the Aroma Cool Touch Mini Rice Cooker
Aroma Digital Cool-Touch Rice Cooker and Food Steamer – Available in Variety of Sizes and Functionality Options
Aroma wants to help its customers have more quality time to themselves, not slaving over a hot stove in the kitchen. Its kitchen appliances are affordable but don’t compromise on quality, therefore you can feel confident you’re getting a product that will be functional and durable.
Its 2-in-1 Rice Cooker and Food Steamer is an excellent solution to healthy and nutritious cooking. Steaming your food rather than frying or boiling it not only makes it healthier, but actually makes it taste better too. Also, with the various compartments, you can cook your rice, veggies, and fish all in the same compact cooker.
Let’s take a look at the other awesome features of this cooker:
- Unique Sensor Logic Technology: The Aroma 8-Cup Digital Rice Cooker is a genuinely basic cooker/steamer. Unique Sensor Logic Technology utilizes a small-scaled, onboard chip that considers the optimum cooking temperature required to upgrade flavor and surface, all by itself. This implies that you basically include rice and water, choose the mode, and leave the machine to do its work. You could set cooking times yourself, but the USL tech is really reliable. You can likewise utilize the Aroma to steam other edibles as there is a different mode for this. It makes 8 cups of rice for satisfying a small family.
- Good Durability: This is a stainless-steel rice cooker. It has been constructed in a compact design and features reliable parts. Existing buyers report being satisfied with the sturdiness of the unit and even being surprised because of its low sticker price.
- Simple Add-Ons: Since it's a basic-level model, it is uncalled for to expect the Aroma 8-Cup Digital Rice Cooker to over-do it with add-ons, yet it does come with a separate steam plate along with a rice cooking dish. Furthermore, it comes with a measuring container, a serving spatula, and even a few recipes. It has the typical functions of other rice cookers, such as a programmable "Keep Warm" mode (so your rice stays at a pleasant, prepared-to-eat temperature) and a clock that can be set for as long as 15 hours before you actually need the rice to be cooked.
- Maintenance: The general keep-up of the rice cooker is simple, and all the inner parts can be taken out for cleaning. The nonstick internal cooking pot is also dishwasher-safe. You can keep the machine in shape with minimal effort.
The Aroma 8-Cup Digital Rice Cooker is an incredible buy. It's useful for singles, couples, and smaller families. Moreover, it won't take up a great deal of space in a tiny kitchen, and it can cook an assortment of wonderfully steamed foods besides rice.
If the silver/black option won’t fit in your kitchen, then check out the white option too! You can even buy either color as a pack of 2, if you want!
The Oster 6-Cup Rice Cooker with Steaming Tray is an attractive option considering it’s easy to use, has all the necessary basic features, and can produce 6 cups of cooked rice, which is enough for the average family. And for more healthy cooking, you may also want to check out the Oster Dura Ceramic Hot Air Fryer
. This air fryer has a titanium-infused coating and fries food to the perfect crispiness using only a tablespoon or less of oil!
Oster® 6 Cup Rice Cooker with Steaming Tray and One Touch Controls – Available in Red or Black
Oster is a brand that dates back to 1924. Its determination to produce innovative products and give exceptional customer service means that it is now one of the most prominent manufacturers of home appliances. The Oster Rice Cooker is one of the most admirable products in the company’s lineup.
The Rice Cooker comes with:
- Basic System: This Oster rice cooker is only an essential rice cooker and steamer. The pot can hold up to 3 cups of uncooked rice and produces 6 cups of completely cooked rice. The controls are pretty easy to learn and use since it uses an integrated single-touch mechanism. The cooker can make an assortment of recipes, including ones with rice, soup, fondue, and more. There is nothing extravagant about the integrated system, and it unquestionably is not identical to the significantly premium ones specified in some of the above products.
- Excellent Durability and Safety: The design of the unit is unassuming. It is manufactured using stainless steel and is quite high-quality, albeit the finishing isn't as smooth as higher-valued stainless-steel rice cookers. In any case, the positive incentive here is that regardless of a low price, the model does not have any plastic parts or construction. Both the bottom rice cooker and the steamer plate are metal; the top is glass.
- Safety: The cooker covers all the necessities. However, there are chances of water spewing out or even spilling out, which means that you should have some kind of cover over the top of it.
- Basic Add-ons: The Oster 6-Cup Cooker incorporates a steaming plate, a measuring glass, and a ladle for steaming vegetables or meats. However, it does have a spoon holder like other rice cookers in the same value range. The “Keep Warm” mode is a sweet addition and will ensure that the rice does not get cold until you take it out. There are no additional extravagant accessories with the Oster 6-Cup, yet it is adequate for its fundamental purpose— cooking rice.
- Maintenance: Tidying up is simple with the removable, dishwasher-safe, non-stick pot and steaming plate. Do note that at times some of the rice can make a gooey mess in the base, yet a bit of water washes everything right out.
This conventional rice cooker is one of the most affordable cookers. The capacity is sufficient, and it is also very easy to use.
Best Rice Cooker Buying Guide – Should You Get a Large, Mini or Small Rice Cooker?
Rice is perfect for any occasion, it doesn’t take long to prepare and it pretty much goes with everything (almost!). Our main point is, lunch or dinner (and even dessert sometimes), it’s got you covered. If you fancy yourself a bit of a cook, rice provides a great base for flavors and it soaks up the broth it’s cooking in. So, if you don’t fancy yourself being a plain jane who brings in the same lunch to work every day, then crack out a recipe cookbook about the wonders of rice and watch your colleagues envy your lunch whilst they tuck into their PB&J sandwich (no offence to the PB&J sandwich – it’s a classic we love – but variety is the spice of life!). But, if you are thinking about switching it up at work, make sure you have a leak proof lunch container to put in your retro lunch box if you decide to get a little saucy. One too many times, I’ve arrived in the office with a sauce lake at the bottom of my bag!
Next is dinner time! If preparing dinner can be made easier in any way after a long hard-working day, things like a rice cooker will make your life a little easier. But, if you want to come home to a house smelling of freshly prepared food, there’s only so much a rice cooker can do. A slow cooker and a rice cooker make a perfect tag team, especially if you have many mouths to feed and not much time. It’s as simple as switching it on before leaving for work and coming back to a perfectly good winter stew or soup. Add a bit of rice and you’ve got yourself a meal within minutes of walking through the door. I don’t know anything more relaxing than walking into my house and simply not having to worry about making something to eat. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy your evening.
Video: Simple Rice Cooker Recipes That Are Awesome
2 Ways on Making Simple and Perfect Rice. | Courtesy of Taste Show
Rice cookers really do have a wide range of prices ranging from $20 all the way up to around $350, so it’s important to think about what you’re looking for and your budget. If you’re willing to pay $350 you’re going to be in for a right treat when it comes to technology and a modern finish. These bad boys are likely to be multifunctional with shiny new buttons we can talk about later. However, there are cheaper products available and don’t worry, it won’t impact the taste! So, if your eyes don’t light up at the idea of having a rice cooker make you porridge for breakfast then don’t worry too much about the extras.
Other than the technology involved, the size of the rice cooker will either decrease the price or increase it. Therefore, you should consider how much rice you’ll be making and whether you have a lot of mouths to feed. It may be worth paying that little bit extra to make sure you have enough to go around, unless you don’t mind making multiple batches but then you run the risk of the rice going cold!
One thing we would advise is to avoid particularly cheap rice cookers – you need to have confidence that you can safely leave it unattended and it won’t break down within a couple of months of purchase. All the products we feature represent good value for money, meaning you always get durability, reliability and features to suit the price tag.
One of the great things about a rice cooker is that when you cook with it, it gives you the exact time when it’ll be ready. No more prodding of rice, checking whether it needs a little longer. These cookers make a supposedly simple task actually simple! Not only that, you can finally get your portions right – which can be a trouble with our household! Now, let’s take a look at a few of the features to look out for when considering a rice cooker:
- Size – The bigger the capacity, the more rice you can get out of it and this is perfect for those who love a bit of batch cooking.
- Multi-functional Ability – Some rice cookers go beyond just cooking rice. We’ve seen some with slow cookers, yoghurt makers, steamers and pressure cooker functions. They do know how to spoil you!
- Timings – Sometimes, patience is a virtue and this is true when you have the option to delay when the rice cooker turns on to just 15 minutes before you arrive home from work and what else do we smell, oh it’s the slow cooker you put on this morning – so blissful moments like this can happen. Dinner is served!
- Heat Control– There’s only one boiling point that water can reach to and it’s important for this to be controlled so you don’t end up burning the water away too quickly and burning your rice. The ability to predict and control the temperature is what’s going to make your rice nice and fluffy
These are a few key features that should whet your appetite as to what is available for you, and we haven’t even got to the design yet!
Construction and Design
Rice cookers can come in all different shapes and sizes. Typically, you can expect it to have a round shape for the bowl but that doesn’t mean the unit itself needs to be round. There are some sleek designs with fancy LCD screens on the market that will get guests thinking you have some new space tech in your kitchen. Some are designed to be simpler, which is great for those who may not use all the extra features. I know my parents got a fancy cooker once but they only ever used one setting. The same concept applies here. Other cookers are designed to provide a variety of services for you to meet your every need which can be handy instead of having multiple machines on your worktop. The end result depends on what you are looking for and how it will fit in your kitchen.
You can expect these machines to be durable. They’re in charge of heating rice up to super-hot temperatures time and time again, so you can expect them to know how to handle the heat. Another important factor in the design is how to tame sticky rice! Now, we aren’t suggesting you your rice is going to be sticky here, we are talking about the nonstick feature added to the bowl. This feature makes cooking and cleaning so much easier.
Video: Simple Rice Cooker Recipes That Are Awesome
How to Use a Rice Cooker. | Courtesy of Kitchen Expert
Performance and Ease of Use
When you purchase your rice cooker, you’ll be informed how much dry rice to add and how much it will create. So, from the beginning it sets you up to know how it should perform. These cookers know how to get rice fluffy every time and some even know how to cook different types of rice perfectly every time, which is important if you like making different cuisines.
When you purchase them, you can expect an instructions manual to get you up and running and sometimes even a small recipe book to complement. Most rice cookers will also contain detachable components, allowing effortless cleaning and after a long day hard day of cooking (remembering to turn the machine on before work is a hard work, right?), the last thing you want to do is spend your evening scrubbing away! Ultimately, when it comes down to it, the best rice cooker is the one that’s best for you and your taste buds!
Get the Best Rice Cooker of 2020!
So, whether you’re looking to perfect your rice or you fancy cooking a traditional Caribbean dish, or adding a bit of spice in your life with a curry and rice, we hope this helped you find the right cooker for you and your recipes. Of course, the final decision of picking one lies ultimately with your cooking requirements and budget. However, rest assured, all the mentioned rice cookers are from reliable brands and will serve you with high-quality performance. For more options, take a look at more offerings from these brands.
Our Top Choice
Instant Pot Multipurpose Rice Cooker
Hamilton Beach Rice & Hot Cereal Cooker
Zojirushi 3 in 1 Induction Heating Rice Cooker
Aroma Rice Cooker & Steamer
Oster Rice Cooker and Steamer
Rice Cooker FAQs
How to use a rice cooker
Using a rice cooker is pretty simple and straightforward. Start by measuring the recommended amount of rice and place it on a bowl. Then rinse out the rice and transfer it to the inner pan of the rice cooker. Add some water, put the pan inside the cooker and close the top. At this stage, you can add oil, butter or any spices you want. Finally, turn the cooker on and let it cook. It will automatically turn itself off and notify you once done.
How does a rice cooker work
As you might have guessed, rice cookers work by using a heating element to boil water. This water is then absorbed into your rice until the grains become tender. Most automatic rice cookers will also have a temperature sensor in place, which constantly keeps track of the temperatures within. This also helps the machine gauge if the rice has cooked so it can automatically shut off.
How long does a rice cooker take
Typically, a rice cooker will take anywhere between 25 and 35 minutes to cook rice. However, this can be influenced by the type of rice you are cooking and its quantity. Luckily, this is not something you need to worry about since most modern cookers automatically shut themselves off when the rice is done cooking.
How to cook quinoa in rice cooker
Quinoa is quite easy to cook in a rice cooker. For best results, begin by rinsing the quinoa. Pour it into the rice cooker and add some water or broth for flavor. You can also add some salt or spices. Turn on the cooker and let it cook. This should take about 30 minutes. Once done, simply fluff it with a fork, serve and enjoy your perfectly fluffy quinoa.
What can you cook in a rice cooker
You can cook much more than just rice with your average rice cooker. Additionally, the machine can make other grains like quinoa or barley as well as breakfast meals like pancakes and oatmeal. You can also prepare heavier meals like ribs, pizza, chilli and meat. Simply add the seasoned meat to the rice, and let it simmer together.