With hundreds of waterproof phone cases on the market today, choosing an appropriate model for your cell phone can prove overwhelming. You’re in luck since we did the homework on your behalf to bring you five of the best models from respected brands. So, go ahead and make a choice depending on your budget and style.
Replacing a ruined cell phone can be very expensive, particularly a smartphone. With the level of surfing addiction among the millennials, smartphones have become a treasure
, and consequently, keeping them safe and intact has become crucial. It's a great idea to seek insurance for your phone, but most cell phone insurance policies do not cover water damage. Therefore, the only guaranteed way to keep moisture off your phone is by encasing it in a waterproof cover.
Regarding waterproof cases, it’s vital to ensure that it is completely waterproof, and not only water-resistant. In addition, check whether the case meets set standards and specifications, particularly the International Protection Rating gauge requirements. Investing a few more dollars to purchase a case with extra special features is highly recommended. On that note, you should check for special features while comparing waterproof phone cases as you narrow down to that perfect case. You can also find great wooden phone cases
for ruggedness and added aesthetics, but they rarely protect your phone from water damage.
Most of the cases that enclose the entire phone, including the screen, often interfere with its functionality. However, it is clear that they provide the most protection. If you want to access your phone anytime, then you should consider purchasing user-friendly cases. You want to be able to access power and volume buttons while still taking selfies in water, right? You may also want a case that will float when it slips in water and has holding compartments for your credit cards. So, put all your needs into consideration when selecting a case for your phone.
Other than protecting your cell phone screen with a strong screen protector
, it’s important to note that 30 percent of damages in phones are caused by water. Though it’s not an everyday occurrence, it occurs at some point anyway and you end up losing your phone. At times, you can be lucky and have it successfully fixed, but most of the time, it won’t function anymore.
Water often seeps into your smartphone gradually, eventually damaging it. So, a smartphone repair technician may manage to fix the visible damages but fail to predict the intensity of the internal damage caused. Most sonic cleaners or safe cleaning solutions for electronics are only 95 percent effective in extracting foreign materials. The 5 percent of the water that's left behind continues to spread throughout the phone. Problems will begin arising, one at a time—from a malfunctioning camera, to a total breakdown in volume setting, to finicky keys. So, the best solution is to find a waterproof cell phone case for your valuable gadget. Read on to learn the important features to consider when shopping for one.
The price of a waterproof phone case basically ranges from $15 to $80. This is a convenient price range, considering how it will secure your phone from scratches, moisture, and dust. The best case should offer all-around protection while allowing easy accessibility and phone usage. Even with a waterproof casing, you should still be sure to keep the phone from getting into contact with foreign matter or moisture. Interestingly though, the cases are affordable, thus you can comfortably use your phone as an underground camera.
Cheaper waterproof cell phone cases are still available on the market but we don’t recommend you consider such since they’re probably made from light plastics that will soon deteriorate and expose your phone to risks of moisture. Putting a little more money out there is a great way to ensure you get a quality waterproof phone case.
When choosing the perfect waterproof phone case, you have to consider the materials used and their quality. Also, take into consideration the waterproof rating even as you make the ultimate decision. This sounds exciting; however, the market has a wide range of varieties in waterproof phone cases and settling on an ideal choice can be overwhelming.
Selecting a waterproof phone case might seem straightforward, but there are essential features which you should consider to be able to make a perfect choice. These are:
- Protection – Your case of choice should have the ability to protect your phone from moisture, dust, and other harsh weather conditions.
- Access to Controls – If you want to utilize your phone while it’s in the encasement, then cases that allow access to functionalities should be your first priority.
- Belt Clips – Some people like placing their cell phones somewhere they can easily access. If that’s your case, then try a case with belt clips for attaching it to your belt.
- Personalization – If your budget can accommodate it, then go for the case whose customization relates to something in your life.
- Screen Protection – Invest your dollars in a case which offers screen protection for things such as cracking and scratching, not just water. A case made from a sturdy material is recommended.
Construction and Design
In terms of design and construction, not all waterproof phone cases are built equally. Here is a compilation of the most common types of waterproof phone cases available in the market:
- Shells – Shells are usually hard or soft and made of silicone, rubber, or hard plastic. This clear plastic cover protects the front side of your phone by keeping it waterproofed.
- Sleeves – This case resembles a small pouch which is easily opened and closed using Velcro strips or zippers. A sleeve case is made from various materials such as cloth, plastic, silicone, and waterproof leather. At times, the zippers are also made from a waterproof material, heightening the level of protection.
- Flip Cases – Flip cases are among the types which totally enclose the entire phone, back to front. They’re mostly made from faux leather and closed with Velcro.
- Skins – As the name suggests, skins are thin cell cases which offer customization as well as total waterproofing. They are mostly made of thin silicon rubber that is waterproof.
- Ultimate Protection Cases – They offer all-around protection; from waterproofing to shock-proofing. These cases, as the name suggests, easily provide total waterproofing, dust-proofing, and shock-proofing qualities in a single unit. They are the best when it comes to waterproofing qualities and for harsh weather.
Performance and Ease of Use
Most waterproof cell phone cases are designed so that they enclose your phone completely. However, some cases are well-customized to allow you to continue using your phone while it’s in the case. Such cases are only meant to protect the phone and offer a strong grip without interfering with its accessibility. While others are simply slip-and-slide utilities, others are further advanced with extra features. These include armbands, which make it safer for outdoor activities such as water sports. Others are made of stiff silicone material, making them totally waterproof.
Before learning how to use the waterproof phone cases, it’s crucial to understand their features and how they operate. Moreover, you need to know which options they offer. The perfect waterproof case will protect your phone from shock, dirt, and moisture during extreme outdoor activities. If you want to keep your phone intact during skiing, swimming, storms, or snorkeling, then the perfect solution is a waterproof case.
With the unpredictable weather variations, it’s always a good idea to protect your valuable cell phone with a high-quality waterproof casing whenever you’re going outdoors. Other than accidental drops in water, a waterproof cell phone case protects your phone from scratches, shock, or dust that can easily damage your valuable investment. We have compiled a list of the best waterproof cell phone cases to consider. These brands still offer several variations to meet your specific need and budget if you need more options to look at.